We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angkor Wat Tour in 1 Day

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mandaluyong...
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Angkor Wat Tour in 1 Day

Planning to take the angkor wat tour in 1 day. we are 8 in the group. Do we really need a guide to these temples? initially, we are just planning to hire an aircon van for 8 of us with english speaking driver. Can we cover the entire temples without a guide? honestly, we just want to take pictures. do they provide free maps at these temples at the entrance?

thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angkor Wat Tour in 1 Day

Let's get this bit out of the way before we start: Its a shame you only have one day, isn't there any way you can squeeze another day for the temples? Okay, I said it (I likely won't be the only one so that's why I wanted to get thru that formality).

When you say 'take the Angkor Wat tour' I am going to assume you are meaning to say that you only have one day to tour the temples and you are not intending to limit yourselves only to the specific temple named Angkor Wat. You will be able to see more than just Angkor Wat (which is one specific temple - the mother of all temples shall we say). You do not really need a guide at all. Most independent travelers do not use one although many people want the enhanced level of knowledge a good guide can provide.

They do not provide free maps to the temples. I would suggest that you would be well advised to spend a few bucks and download Lonely Planet's chapter "Temples of Angkor." It will have some short nice explanations and maps of all the major temples - …lonelyplanet.com/cambodia/… -

If you make an early start of it, perhaps even with sunrise at Angkor Wat, you will have a nice full day in order to see several of the marquee temples. After viewing sunrise at Angkor Wat, you could then proceed directly to Preah Khan which at that hour will be sparsely populated allowing may pictures of this lovely large temple without people in the frame constantly. Then head back to Angkor Wat or ask your driver what he thinks the best route is to see the gates of Angkor Thom, Bayon, Angkor Wat and Ta Prohm. These you should be able to accomplish in one day and in my opinion this would give you an excellent and memorable one day impression of these world wonders. You can cap the day off with sunset at Pre-Rup or if you have time do sunset at Phnom Krom on the lake which will be MUCH less crowded.

Edited: 26 November 2012, 16:01
Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
9 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angkor Wat Tour in 1 Day

We have just been this month and one day was sufficient for us to do Bayon, Angkor Wat and Ta Prohm. This included lunch out and an early return to the hotel. Day trip - 8.00 till 3.00. We did not want to see any more temples after that. We had a driver and an English speaking guide. Total cost 62$ (30+32) I thought it was useful having the guide. We did not read up about it first really and you do not need a map.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,633 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angkor Wat Tour in 1 Day

I agree with Lenny, you need more time if you can possibly manage it.

check out the sample itineraries at www.canbypublications.com (red bar at the side) Canby also put out a free guidebook which can be picked up at most hotels but will not contain as much info as a proper guide book (or the LP guide as Lenny has mentioned)

Mandaluyong...
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angkor Wat Tour in 1 Day

I know its really a shame for touring the angkor and nearby temples in just one day. time restraints. well im speaking of not just the angkor but also the nearby temples like Bayon and Ta Prohm. these are the usual tours in a day.

I think this will also be enough for me cause I dont want to get temple bum. so you guys really suggest to get a guide for these temples.

secondly, on our 2nd day for just half day... can we do the lake tour and what else? maybe tourist spots near the lake or along the way..... after lunch we want to dedicate our time in shopping cause the following day we will leave Siem reap early in the morning for Ho Chi minh

Thanks

6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Angkor Wat Tour in 1 Day

Hello,may I know how to get tour guide for 1day Angkor wat tour? Total 8 people in my group.

Edited: 20 March 2013, 02:59
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,633 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angkor Wat Tour in 1 Day

ask your hotel to organise something for you - you will need either two tuktuks or a van - hotel can organise this too

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Angkor Wat Tour in 1 Day

With 8 guests plus tour guide 2 tuk tuks won't be enough unless the guide follow on motorbike but then you lose a lot of time with the guide while driving from place to place that could be used for talking.

Jersey
Level Contributor
263 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Angkor Wat Tour in 1 Day

Ta Prohm in the morning shortly after sunrise and you have the place to yourself as everyone else is at Angkor Wat. The light is also good for photos as the temple lights up with the dawn

Angkor Thom next from about 10:00 as you will have the sun behind you for the majority of the visit. Again great for photographs and not too crowded. Go over to Angkor Wat at lunchtime and stop at one of the paces for lunch.

Angkor Wat visit to start at about 13:00. Again, has the benefit if the sun being behind you for good photographs. Also means you start the visit with less crowds. Sunrise visitors have all moved off and major tour groups are Ll back in the city for lunch and don't start arriving for another hour if so.

That's what we have just done and it worked really well.

Lake trip - please do not bother. Literally just attempted this and a complete waste of time and effort. This is the end of the dry season and we spent 80%of the trip stuck on sand banks or waiting for the driver to clear Sandra and silt from the water cooled system used to keep the boat running. Complete and utter waste of time at the moment. You'd be better off simply hiring some bicycles and having a tout around the city.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Angkor Wat Tour in 1 Day

Great tips. Which lake community did you go to? Have friends going soon and would like to pass on your experience. Thanks

Jersey
Level Contributor
263 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Angkor Wat Tour in 1 Day

Kompong Pluk was the village we went to. It's nearly just a muddy creek now and will only get lower. Would advise them not to bother. Very frustrating And quite dull trip at the moment. Was looking forward to this one as well. Best visited before the end of January I think. Leave it any longer and the tourist boats will really struggle to move.