We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Night Bus?

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Night Bus?

Hi!

Does anyone know if there is any reliable night bus service from Siem Reap to HCM city? Thanks!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,633 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Night Bus?

only someone with a death wish would travel Cambodian roads at night. Use the search box to locate posts with all the reasons

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
730 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Night Bus?

.....and Vietnam for that matter. These buses are called "Rolling coffins" for a reason. Perhaps try to travel daytime if your schedule allows.

siem reap
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Night Bus?

Can some one point me to some links or websites that have some facts.The reason I ask is almost every day I read the paper here in SR.For the last six years.I just don't see it.I found three crashes in 2011 of night buses.And two of those were caused by the other driver.Out of thousands of trips.

I will be the first to admit,when I seen that there would be night buses I thought it might last a month."Night Buses"in the country with the highest per capata death rate on the road of any country in SEA?

Its been over three years now and if anything,there are more night buses all the time.

I know what the roads are like here,I have hundreds of thousands of kilometers driving cars and bikes in all provinces of Cambodia.In some ways its easier at night.A lot less livestock.Less motos.

I worry more about the drunks in the city that don't stop for anything late at night.PP is the worse.I lived there for two years.No thanks!

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,768 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Night Bus?

Dragon Fly,

Please just Google...Cambodia Night Bus Crashes ...and read for yourself.

Rgds. Ian

siem reap
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Night Bus?

Ian

I ask because I have searched and I just did it again.I found three night buses and one of them was at 6:00am so hardly call that a night bus.Every other report was about day buses.People need to read them not just goggle them.

Iám on five or six Cambodian forums.People that work and live here.Seems I would hear about all these crashes that some people "THINK"happen.

Going by the reports I just read on the goggle search,looks like Mekong Express is the only one that didn't crash last year.Rity Mong and Capital not looking so good.The Paramount crash in Ko Kong gets the most hits.

I would rather take my chances with the night bus than the Ford Transit vans that drive at the speed of sound.

If I can't get a seat on Giant Ibis I wait untill the next day.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,768 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Night Bus?

Each unto his/her own Dragon Fly.

My money is on daylight only bus travel and like you over the past twenty years I've travelled thousands of Km over all roads of Cambodia since 1992 as the roads have returned to service. The past trip as posted was no exception.

You are an advocate for night bus travel I am most certainly not. So be it.

Why are you no longer flying? I hear conflicting reports from locals I trust.

Also,as you will know, a lot of "news" does not get in to the news in Cambodia as adverse for tourism.

Regards. Ian

Edited: 30 November 2012, 10:06
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Night Bus?

Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice, but I'm aware of the risks and I'm still willing to chance it. Just wanted more information on the bus schedules/companies before making the decision.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
484 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Night Bus?

Mekong Express leaves SR at 7.30am, guess it would take about 13hrs via Phnom Penh. Cost USD24.00

http://catmekongexpress.com/schedule.html

siem reap
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Night Bus?

I never said take the night bus.What I said was show me some proof that they are any worse than the day buses.And I don't think there is any cover up of crashes.Maybe if everyone was Khmer.But not with the night buses being full of barang.Hundreds every night.

I thought the same thing,the roads would be littered with night bus crashes.But I was wrong.

As far as the flying,call me,you got my number.The one I have for you don't work.

10. Re: Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Night Bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 16:17