We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage on the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex, UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage on the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap

We're planning to take the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap - does anyone know if it's OK to take luggage (a medium sized suit case each) ?

siem reap
Level Contributor
512 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage on the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap

Should be ok.The boats are big enough.Just keep an eye on it,heard some people had their bags get wet in the bottom of the boat.Maybe wrap them in plastic.Only thing I ever heard bad about that trip is in the dry season the water can get so low that the boat gets hung up and it takes all day.

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage on the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap

Thanks for the feedback Dragonfly.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
63 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage on the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap

When I did that trip they put your luggage up top which also mean it can get wet if it rains…

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
648 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage on the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap

Reconsider the trip entirely if you're coming in dry season (now until May)

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage on the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap

We have just done the boat trip, mid Nov. The luggage went on top of the boat, as well as the bikes. I think there was a trap of sorts over the luggage to protect it from the rain. It was a great trip, pushing through past all the bushes. Well worth the experience.

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage on the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap

Chipola and Mandy - thanks.

Ellenem - please could you expand on your comment - why not recommended in December ?

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage on the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap

I'm imagining that Ellenem means the water level might be too low in Dec and the boat won't be able to operate. The level was fine in Nov but apparently the level drops daily during the dry season, and as this year wasn't a particularly wet year the level might be down.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
63 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage on the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap

That is true Mandy..........I took this boat in May, I was told it would take 6 hours and it took 16 hours as the boat got stuck in the mud and we the paying customers had to jump into the muddy water and push the boat. Obviously the paying customers were not as important as 2 crates of baby crocodiles that they came and rescued after realising we were stuck and didn't get to the boat station until after midnight!

The operators will not tell you about this and will happily take your money ($20 each) no matter what the time of year!

Edited: 03 December 2012, 08:59
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage on the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap

Is it likely to be OK at the end of June??

John O'Groats...
Level Contributor
137 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage on the boat from Battembang to Siem Reap

hi guys

how are the levels presently?

thanx