We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing border on an evisa

Mumbai
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing border on an evisa

I have read quite a few posts about the hassles at the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border. Would getting an evisa in advance help avoid these problems ? I see that an evisa is recognised at the Popiet entry but just wanted to know if its really advantageous to apply for one beforehand or get it at the border itself ?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
293 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing border on an evisa

As we were traveling with children and wanted to avoid hassles, we went with an evisa. The actual immigration part was easy. It was the shady characters either side of the border that were the real PITA.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
486 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing border on an evisa

Shady characters in uniform as well, think the Thais are worse.

Get an eVisa for Poipet.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing border on an evisa

It will only save you 10 to 15 minutes, but if I were to do the crossing again, I would get one.

Important note: if you are going by bus, get off the bus when all the other South East Asian's get off the bus. That is the border post. If you stay on the bus, you will be ripped off and waste 1/4 - 1/2 hour.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing border on an evisa

Thanks for the tips. E-visa way to go !

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
530 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing border on an evisa

Just got back from our trip. We got the e visa- was processed within 24hrs online. Remember to attach one copy to a page in passport and another copy to be presented with first one. Cut both copies of the Visa down to size as indicated on the printed page. Black and white copies are fine.With the E-Visa you go to the immigration shack directly. It is marked well and it means you avoid the first building where visas can be obtained.

Under no circumstances go to the "Cambodian Consulate" on Thai side like the touts will tell you. That is a rip off.

Processing time was short. You may or may not be fingerprinted- it all depends on the competency of the officer you see. We were 4 people and had 3 different versions of what the process was- in any case it is painless.

Edited: 20 December 2012, 19:48
6. Re: Crossing border on an evisa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2013, 05:15