We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
8 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Car with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Does anyone know if there are companies that hire car plus driver so we can go from PP to SR? I would rather not catch the bus so that we can stop on the way to sight see, and maybe go via Battenberg?

We have 9-10 days and fly into PP and out of SR.

I realise that you can hire a taxi but would like to have the driver for a couple of days and a very nice car ( like a 4WD).

Budget is fairly generous.

Thank you

54 replies to this topic
siem reap
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

if you ask to go to Battenberg,maybe you will end up in germany hehe :) Battambang is the correct english spelling :)

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
8 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Touche!!

siem reap
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

yes,to me it shows a certain level of respect to the place you visit to at least get the towns name right,actually i was just trying to help you as when you travel the locals will be more responsive to you if you at least try and get the words right,i am pretty sure the locals in Australia would correct me if i was to go to say brisbeen or sidney hehe

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,409 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

On a number of occasions we've arranged taxi transport through our hotels and it has always worked out very well. It would be useful for you to talk to reception at your hotel, explain your needs and see what they suggest.

Last year we took a taxi from SR to Battambang which cost $35. Battambangis a lovely little place with lots of interesting things to see so it would be well worth your while to consider a stop over for a couple of days. We then took another taxi from Battambang to Phonm Penh for $55.

Most of the drivers we've had over the years have very little English and we've found that it's necessary to have, not only the name and address of the hotel at your destination, but also the phone number. When a driver is coming from one city or town, he doesn't necessarily know where hotels are in another place, so will usually phone the hotel for directions.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
951 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Our hotel arranged a car and driver for us (Siem Reap to PP) in October. As travelkat says, often they have minimal English (I have zero Khmer) so we took a map with us.

It's an adventurous drive, however, not to be done at night (crazy overtaking by dodgy vehicles on poorly maintained roads). Encourage your driver (give him some extra $) to stop for lunch, to prevent driver fatigue.

Interesting towns and loaded vehicles en route. My camera worked overtime.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

We traveled by van with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap in February. It was organised by Vietnam Impressive. We were picked up from the fast boat from Chau Doc. The drive took 6 hrs with last 2 hrs in the dark. It was a little bit scary during the day but very scary at night. The road had pedestrians, scooters, cars, trucks and tour buses going in both directions it went through villages and past little markets. At night the cows travel home along and across the road, we saw 1 flattened cow run over by army truck. At one place a trucks wheels had fallen through the deck of a bridge bringing all traffic to a stop while workers unloaded the very overloaded truck of grain bags. Our driver did a u turn and followed a dirt track though villages to bypass. Our diver could not speak english but we got along fine. He stopped at a market and bought a bag of spiders. Ask my family what was the best thing we did away and that road trip rates very high. I would like to do it again but a whole lot slower with more stops. The driver lived in Siem Reap and had a return trip of 12 hrs driving plus waiting for us to arrive by boat(which was 1 hr late) cost us $A200 for the 4 of us so thought it was reasonable.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

That is not very hard to find a Taxi but 4WD is a little bit problem to find out accordingly. They are using Toyota Camry to be your transportation (Taxi) so if you need this please kindly advise your departure date from Phnom Penh then I would take action to help in soonest

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

I can highly, highly recommend Sameth Mon, he is an excellent driver, his mini van is immaculate. His English is excellent and he is a really genuine and lovely guy. I can msg you his contact details.

We had Sam the Man drive us from Phnom Penh to Sen Menorom, then from here to Siem Reap, just this week. He was very patient with our children and gave great advise about local foods to try. Great driver and tour guide in one.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,143 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

There is a wide choice of either 4wd vehicles and Mercedes vans available for hire in the Phnom Penh area these days. Personally, I like the extra space and room of a Mercedes van.

Any half competent travel agent can fix you up with an english speaking driver and a good, clean and relicable vehicle of your choice. Most hotel reception staff can do the same but not necessarily with the same range of options as a major, well established travel agency.

Best regards.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
8 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Thank you everyone,

Mizz B7 , happy to get the number /email of Sameth if you have it.

I have looked on the net and found a company called Landa which rents cars with drivers. It look very professional. Has anyone dealt with them?

Thanks again for all the advice and help.

Reply to: Car with driver from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted