We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I be sceptical re: recommended Tour Guide

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Should I be sceptical re: recommended Tour Guide

I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some information regarding this tour operator.

I hope I'm just being overly sceptical but I have been a TripAdvisor member for a long time and I think I smell a rat! I hope not because I wanted to do a 3 day tour with this person and a homestay BUT.......

When I look at the 32 reviews I find:

* 4 reviews from Melbourne, Australia (each poster with one post to their name - a review of this tour guide!!)

* 3 reviews from Melbourne, Australia (each poster with 2 or 3 posts to their name)

Many, many single reviews from the Gold Coast Australia, Sydney Australia, Perth Australia, Byron Bay Australia and many other single reviews from posters with only one post to their name - posts about this girl!

There are only about 6 that seem honest reviews.

I'd love to hear some feedback from people that might genuinely know her and advice from locals or regular travellers to this region.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I be sceptical re: recommended Tour Guide

You're probably right, and it's a common occurence in the SE Asia threads and reviews. Guides and drivers in Cambodia, and hotels and travel agents in Vietnam.

Is this guide for a particular tour of for a number of days travel? Otherwise you could just get your hotel to arrange a guide once you arrive. They all have a list of their preferred drivers or guides that, in theory at least, are excellent and reliable.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 03:20
Dunsborough...
Level Contributor
89 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I be sceptical re: recommended Tour Guide

Aussie, you can generally pick the operator reviews, especially stand alone guides at Siem Reap. Never believe single post reviews.

I did a number of tours in Nov last year with Mango Cambodia in PP, and Beyond Unique Escapes in SR. Both are small - medium sized tour companies and really good.

Planning on returning to PP & SR in November again, Cambodia is an awesome place to visit.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I be sceptical re: recommended Tour Guide

Sorry, that was a bit dopey of me, I didn't add the link! The first page of comments seem not to out of place but the pages after that smell funny!

tripadvisor.com.au/…REVIEWS

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I be sceptical re: recommended Tour Guide

Thanks Gaz, yes we were going to do a few days with her. I'm reluctant to have the hotels organise anything as they may put the prices up to get a kickback - cynical aren't I?

Oz, we are using Beyond Unique Escapes (I think) to do a Cambodian Cooking Class, they are quite more expensive than others but apparently very good. Great to hear you recommend them as a company!

beyonduniqueescapes.com/cambodia/…Cambodian Cooking Class FULL DAY

Apart from Siem Reap and Phnom Penh would you recommend visiting anywhere else in Cambodia that is easy to reach by bus, I believe there are no trains, pardon my ignorance I have not travelled this region before.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I be sceptical re: recommended Tour Guide

Hi Aussiegirl68 - you are correct, no trains (currently) in Cambodia - but plenty of places to get to via bus service. You don't say how long you will be in Cambodia - so it's difficult to make a suggestion as to other areas outside of Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. You might want to take a look at travelfish.org - loads of information about the country, towns, etc. Also Canby Publications might be of interest. We've traveled throughout the country utilizing local buses - great way to travel:) Seems like the majority of tourists do a route of PP, Battambang, Siem Reap - some add a few days in Kep or Kampot.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I be sceptical re: recommended Tour Guide

Hi Lynn,

We will be travelling from Brisbane, Australia to visit Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam.

At this stage we will be travelling for one month minimum visiting the following:

Bangkok/Chiang Mai

Siem Reap/Phnom Penh

Ho Chi Minh City/Nha Trang

I have no idea how long to spend in each place or what other places to see. So far, I have thought, maybe:

Bangkok - 5 nights

Chiang Mai - 5 nights

Siem Reap - 5 nights

Phnom Penh - 3 nights

HCMC - 5 nights

Nha Trang - 5 nights

I am happen to shorten time in places to add other places, eg would like to see Kampot/Kep.

We don't want to travel any further north in Vietnam as the weather will be too cold in December/January.But, I am open for suggestions on any of these countries.

Thank you everyone.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I be sceptical re: recommended Tour Guide

P.S. Not interested in Phuket at this stage, whilst I believe it would be a beautiful area, and we would love to get there one day, this trip is really about seeing things far removed from our lifestyle here in Queensland, Australia.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I be sceptical re: recommended Tour Guide

I think the number of days you have for Siem Reap and PP are fine - can't comment on the Thailand piece as I haven't been there. Five nights in Saigon seems like a lot unless you are planning to spend a few of those days in the Mekong Delta region. Three countries in a months time (even with only a couple of stops in each) is a lot of traveling - why not slow it down some and really see more of one or two of your choices?

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I be sceptical re: recommended Tour Guide

Aussiegirl68 you say

" I am open for suggestions on any of these countries"

I have one or two that may be of interest.

While in Thailand you plan to visit Chiang Mai.

Can I suggest you look at traveling beyond the normal tourist route and include places like Mae Hong Son, Chiang Dao, Tha Ton.

In some of these places you won't see another tourist, other than your son.

Chiang Rai is the gateway to the north and not to be missed.

"this trip is really about seeing things far removed from our lifestyle"

There may be a couple of ideas in here Aussiegirl68.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293917-i9325-k…

tripadvisor.com.au/…44009682

Reference Map:

www.clickthai.de/Bilder/Karten/ThaiN70.gif

Have fun

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I be sceptical re: recommended Tour Guide

Thank you, inaspin! I have started reading your posts. One day I hope I have the guts you have to drive myself. If I was with another adult I wouldn't hesitate, not for a moment. Self drive is the best way to see things you wouldn't normally see.

But, that is not n option this time. Thanks for your suggestions I'm off to read the rest of your posts.

I'm currently looking for a hilltribe/golden triangle tour that is inexpensive but good leaving for a day trip fromChiang Mai.