We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much climbing is involved in visiting Angkor Wat?

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How much climbing is involved in visiting Angkor Wat?

Myself and my hubby are in the very early stages of planning our Asia trip next Feb (yeah we plan that far ahead!!), taking in Hong Kong/Singapore/Thailand & the latest addition is Angkor Wat. I've got a reservation though.....my husband has bad knees and I'm slightly concerned about our the amount of climbing that seems to be involved in visiting Angkor Wat temples. Do all the temples involve climbing huge steps? I've mentioned my worries to him but he's pretty adamant he wants to see Angkor.....I'm not so sure it's a good idea anymore......! Any advice greatly appreciated.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much climbing is involved in visiting Angkor Wat?

There's no climbing involved at all if you jsut want to walk around the temples. Many people just opt to do that. Angkor Wat has very steep, thin steps which can challenge even the fittest of us(I went to the top of all the temples as I am a sucker for a good view!). There is plenty to see and be amazed by even by simply walking around the sites. If you wish to climb to the top to take photos, your hubby can wait below if he feels he would not be comfortable with the climb. (It'll only take a minute to go to the top, but you'll want to spend 5 once you see the views!) Not all temples permit climbing and some, like Banteay Srei, are on one level only. I highly recommend going- you will see some of the most fabulous sights ever!

Leicester
Level Contributor
445 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much climbing is involved in visiting Angkor Wat?

Go Go Go would be my advice. If any body wants to climb the steps at Angkor ( fit or not ) they would need to be brave and a little bit reckless. There would be no way the authorities in the UK would allow people to climb up steps that seem verticle once you start climbing them.

You dont really need to climb anything to appreciate the scale and beauty of the temples, I enjoyed the reliefs on the outer walls of Angkor Wat itself as much as anything inside the temple and there were less people around on the outskirts where there is real beauty to be found and a lot less people which you will find is a blessing after a while amongst the crowds. There is so much to see apart from Angkor Wat itself and although it is the crowning glory of the whole temple complex it was not my or a lot ot other peoples favourite temple!

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
881 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much climbing is involved in visiting Angkor Wat?

I have a very bad knee, and 2 dodgy ankles, and was quite worried about some bits of it, but decided youth was on my side! I went prepared with pain killers, knee supports etc, just incase i did myself an injury!

Angkor Wat itself, has steps dotted around the place, it a handful when you go across the moat, through the main entrance etc etc. as a rule there aren't handrails, but you can grab onto the side of things!

The main, inner bit, with the 5 towers, is the bit the other are talking about, and after seeing it knew that i wasn't going up it - ladders scare me as it is! So, up went my mates, and i took my time walking around and taking some photos. The steps are small and steep, and there is a rope handrail on one set coming down.

Steps around the other temples vary. There's not normally alot of them, just one or 2 at a time, and they surprised me by being so big! What made us laugh one day, was after climbing several short sets to the top of one temple, inc crawling - sometimes it was just easier without handrails!, anyway a small child. about 8, just bounded up them like he flew up, we just laughed!

I had more problems coming down, mainly to do with my knee problem, but I just took it slowly! I was well impressed, after 10 days in siem reap i hadn't had one fall or injury! Didn't care that it took me a little longer! The only time i had to take pain killers was climing up, on the walk to kbal spean!

So, don't worry about it, I'm sure your husband knows his own limitations! Take things slowly, take some pain killers and knee supports just incase.

Scotland
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much climbing is involved in visiting Angkor Wat?

Absolutely go,

In some of the main temples, to get to the upper levels you do have to climb vertiginous steps, but don't let that put you off. There is so much to see and do at the lower levels. Even if you were just to wander around at the bottom levels, you would still experience some of the most amazing sites in the world.

I suffer from vertigo and so I balked at some of the steps. Some I went up and down very gingerly, but there were one two that I didn't attempt and I don't feel like I missed out at all.

I would recommend getting a good guide and driver and plan your visit according to doing things to your own pace and capability. The heat means that you take everything at a leisurely pace anyway.

Try and get a hold of a copy of Dawn Rooney's Angkor in advance to identify the temples that you might want to see.

Happy planning and have a great trip. You will be so pleased that you decided to go to Angkor Wat.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
648 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much climbing is involved in visiting Angkor Wat?

Climbing around isn't necessary to enjoy the magic of the temples.

In fact,

Many temple areas are working temples and still used as places of worship. If you attend church at your home, think about a bunch of tourists climbing around on your church then maybe re-think your need to climb around on theirs.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much climbing is involved in visiting Angkor Wat?

At Angkor Wat? Most of the temples are excavated sites or ruins! Still, you will be able to appreciate them on the ground as most of us previously have mentioned.

california
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How much climbing is involved in visiting Angkor Wat?

just go and find out. whatever happens is already in the stars and cannot be changed! I

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
648 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much climbing is involved in visiting Angkor Wat?

here is a story about how much damage is being incurred from people climbing around

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5052396.stm

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much climbing is involved in visiting Angkor Wat?

It's just a matter of time before the whole areas are roped off.

california
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much climbing is involved in visiting Angkor Wat?

What ever damage is there was foreordained. If it will be roped off. thaty would be a pity. Que sera , sera.