We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angkor Wat Attire

Adelaide, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
Angkor Wat Attire

I have been hearing a few things about having to cover your arms and legs when going to temples. Is this the case in Angkor Wat and surrounding temples? Or is it ok to wear shorts and a singlet?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angkor Wat Attire

I think you can wear shorts and t-shirt, just bring something light-weight because it is very hot. Singlet would be ok but t-shirt is better in my opinion, When you go inside just take cap off to be respect to place. I see lots of foreigners wear shorts but sun might burn your skin.

Regards,

Mini M

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,942 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angkor Wat Attire

as a sign of respect you should cover your shoulders and upper arms and your legs to the knee (or just above) when visiting temples ... the trouble is the Khmers are mostly too polite to tell tastelessly dressed westerners that what they are wearing is not appropriate.

You will however be refused admission to the Bakon (top level of angkor Wat) if you are not appropriately dressed - the same applies for the Royal Palace in PP

Jersey
Level Contributor
264 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angkor Wat Attire

As a minimum you must wear I shorts that are at least knee length and a normal t-shirt that covers the shoulders. Singlets and vest tops are not allowed and neither are vest tops with your shoulders cover by a scarf or shawl.

As posted, the trouble is the Cambodian people are simply too polite to take any direct action and will suffer the insult to their sacred monument in silence. Sensible to cover up at the moment anyway as it's into the high 30s in the afternoon.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angkor Wat Attire

Shorts and sleevesless attire will be denied of entry to one of the tower in Angkor watt.

Personally I brought some long wear to the temple and changed to shorts after entering and visiting the temple.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Angkor Wat Attire

My husband bought a couple of pairs of cargo trousersin Siem Reap that can be unzipped to become shorts, these were handy when visiting temples and sacred places and were cheap as chips.

Sydney
Level Contributor
145 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angkor Wat Attire

As some of the other posters have pointed out, Angkor Wat and the surrounding temples are still sacred sites to the Cambodians, and, as when visiting all sacred sites, you should attempt to dress modestly and respectfully - this goes for men as much as women.

If you cast your eyes around you will see how Cambodian visitors are dressed. If you want to be a respectful visitor, dress as they do - shirts (short sleeves and t-shirts perfectly ok, but nothing sleeveless) and long pants - jeans or cargos fine.

I know this might seem stuffy, but take my word for it, the way foreigners dress when they visit Angkor Wat is the source of much disgusted chat amongst Cambodians.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Angkor Wat Attire

Absolutely agree, dress modestly and with respect of your environment and have a great time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Angkor Wat Attire

You must have clothing that covers your knees and shoulders. No scarves or wraps are permitted.

I visited the temples last month and was denied entry to Bakon and one section of another temple. I was wearing pants and a tank top and brought along scarf to cover my shoulders but this wasn't acceptable. They were not letting anyone in who had any kind of scarf/shawl. Girls wearing floor length sarong dresses, even if they had a t-shirt on, were also not permitted. It seemed like every 2nd or 3rd person waiting to get into Bakon was denied! No hats were allowed either.

I am so disappointed that I didn't get to go in and felt like such a fool. I had read somewhere prior that locals sell scarves outside the temples that you can use to cover up your shoulders if you forget, so I never considered that it might be an issue.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,942 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Angkor Wat Attire

just one other thing ... ladies.. no skirts ... the stairs up to the Bakon are very steep and if you are wearing a skirt, you will be providing a 'view' to the people climbing below you that you may prefer not to!

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
41 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Angkor Wat Attire

The general guideline is that it is okay to roam around Angkor Wat premises in shorts and sleeveless tops. However, if you are interested in seeing visiting any of the towers inside the premises, you will be required to have a dress that covers your shoulders and knees. This same rule applies when visiting the Bakheng Mountain for the sunset or any of the other temples in the region.

Just remember this - any place where the Cambodians pray (as in the tower inside Angkor Wat) you should have your shoulders and knees covered. Other places e.g. Terrace of the Elephants, Terrace of the Leper King ro any of the hundreds of monuments/ ruins strewn around the area, there is no such requirement.