We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My experience - solo female in Siem Reap

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
My experience - solo female in Siem Reap

If it helps anyone here's my 2 cents worth - For any females who are hesitant about travelling alone here, don't be. I'm a 40 year old who has travelled to many countries but not alone until I travelled to Cambodia. I felt safe during my 6 days here, I went out at night for dinner alone twice and took many day trips to temples and attractions with the same tuk tuk driver. The driver was organised through the hotel and was really helpful as we're the staff of the hotel. I found Cambodian people to be lovely, no hassles at all apart from the kids trying to sell goods at the temples but all tourists were being accosted to buy something. I would highly recommend a quad bike tour out of town as an added extra if you have the time spare to see the rural and more remote parts of Siem Reap. I did this on my own with a guide who rode a dirt bike ahead of me and was the next best thing to seeing the temples in Siem Reap.

As with anywhere, keep hold of your bags / camera, don't wear or even take expensive jewellery with you and don't flash too much cash around. I do the same at home in Australia, just use common sense and have a fabulous and memorable holiday.

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My experience - solo female in Siem Reap

ditto, I spent 8 weeks in SR last year being a lady in her 60's and ate out every night never felt unsafe

Janesville...
Level Contributor
380 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My experience - solo female in Siem Reap

I've been to Cambodia twice alone as a single female in her 40's. Last time I spent 3 weeks travelling around.

I never felt unsafe but used common sense as well ( just as every tourist should).

I always feel like I am coming home when I arrive in Cambodia. I have enjoyed other countries, but this is the one place that makes me feel this way.

I hope that never changes. I really hope that I can get one of my sons to come with me on a visit as I would love to introduce them to this wonderful country and its people.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My experience - solo female in Siem Reap

Siem Reap is very safe and lovely, friendly people.

nsw
Level Contributor
784 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My experience - solo female in Siem Reap

So ladies, which hotels did you stay in at Siem Reap? Going it alone for a few weeks in August and just a little nervous

Red

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My experience - solo female in Siem Reap

Good on ya' ladies. I admire your intestinal fortitude and hope that I'd do the same thing given the opportunity.

I had my first visit to Siem Reap in March ( with freoguy ) and loved it. Hope to return and do a whole lot more exploring one day.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My experience - solo female in Siem Reap

Thanks for your report and glad you enjoyed your trip, Cambodia is very safe for solo travellers just use the same common sense you would everywhere else.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My experience - solo female in Siem Reap

Loved your report Good to know its safe for solo travellers. But please be aware and keep your common sence about you ,,we were there last year as a middle age couple and really loved it ,,and indeed loved the quad bike trip through the rice fields and villages We felt very safe in siam reap ,,but I'm afraid we did not feel safe in phonm penh we always used a tuc tuc at night because the streets were really dark and there were a few bag snatching s while we were there ,,

But none of this would stop us from returning to cambodia as it is an amazing place with amazing people

Rosie

Kuching
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: My experience - solo female in Siem Reap

Hi there, I just read through your post and like yourself, I will be travelling solo to Siem Reap as well. My journey starts tomorrow morning from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh then Siem Reap. I have not planned my whole trip yet, perhaps you could advise me on the best places you went to in Siem Reap?

Where did you stay? I was considering the Angkor Night market.

Thanks a lot.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
380 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My experience - solo female in Siem Reap

I have stayed at Blue Lime and The 250 in Phnom Penh - loved the 250 and I liked the Blue Lime or the Pavillion.

Siem Reap has so many lovely hotels to choose from - really can't go wrong. I suppose it depends on your budget - I stay midrange - $30 -40 a nite. I also treated myself to a stay at the Terrace de Elephants, but sadly it did not live up to my expectations. I liked Bopha Angkor and I would love to go back and try the Golden Temple Hotel as they were completely booked when I was there.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 17:59
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
230 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My experience - solo female in Siem Reap

Hi I will be travelling to Siem Reap tomorrow and to Phnom Penh end of May. Have booked Memoire D'Angkor at Siem Reap - got a very good last min deal from Hotels.com as I only booked the hotel on last weekend. About USD18 per night nett and inclusive of breakfast, free 2-way airport transfer, free unlimited laundry, free mini-bar, free local calls. Location is at Central City area and located next to Lucky shopping mall. As for my trip to Phnom Penh, I have booked Blue Lime private pool room. Yes, there's a private pool in the room.