We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wildly changing air fares into (and out of) siem reap

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
wildly changing air fares into (and out of) siem reap

Hi!

We are planning a first time visit to Siem Reap in August while visiting family in Kuala Lumpur. As we plan the trip the Air Asia flights from KL to SR have been varying wildly from day to day.

It will go from 203 ringget ($64) one day to 720 ringget ($228) the next!

Any experience/advice in booking into (and out of SR)? Should we wait a bit (it's 2 months out), or book ASAP? It looks like the other airlines (British Air, etc.) are even more expensive than Air Asia.

-Karl

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wildly changing air fares into (and out of) siem reap

Air Asia fares will vary as the load factor changes. So in general, the prices will tend to go up the closer you get to your travel date. I have been scoping out prices for my trip in October (I always make this trip via KL as I also have family there) and to my surprise Malaysia Airlines was a bit cheaper, they don't have the add-ons for baggage and they have a much more civilized departure time. But they only fly KL - SR three days a week so you have to see if the days they fly suits your schedule (Wed, Fri, Sun at the moment). And as far as I know, and i am pretty sure about this, only MAS and AA fly that route direct so I am not sure what British Air flights you were looking at (unless they do codeshare with MAS?).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wildly changing air fares into (and out of) siem reap

Hi LB!

Thanks for the info! We were getting antsy about the prices, so we decided to shift our vacation times forward 2 days to leave weds and return tues. The real jump in price seemed not only to be in terms of proximity (as you noted) but also sundays seem to be higher on Air Asia. Each way on Air Asia now is about 203 ringget, which seems OK (but then you're right, Air Asia then proceeds to "nickle and dime" you (pardon the American expression)(stuiver en dubbeltje?) for every little charge (selecting a seat, per kilo checked bag, etc.).

Next time we well have to look into Malaysia Airlines!

(BTW, we're very excited about having a week in Siem Reap! Hoping to see not only the main temples but to get off the beaten path a bit! I suspect I'll be posting more queries here as our plans progress.)

-Karl

Edited: 18 June 2013, 21:35
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wildly changing air fares into (and out of) siem reap

You got a good price. And either expression is good since I'm an expat Yank who settled in Holland :). Great you gave yourselves a week. SR is a great place. Enjoy and ask away. I've got a bit of a blog with some perhaps helpful info for planning and non temple ideas - http://www.angkortuktuk.org

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wildly changing air fares into (and out of) siem reap

Guys, I think the super-cheap fares are specials Air Asia offers and are not the norm. In order to fill up flights on days when they normally don't have full flights, they offer these deals. We now get these specials from flights in Japan on Air Asia, but unfortunately I can never travel at that time. I'd jump on it if I were you!

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,427 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wildly changing air fares into (and out of) siem reap

Gone are the days of the AirAsia $2 flight from Bangkok into Phnom Penh but then they'd squeeze another $10 for pick a seat and luggage, so it would end up $12, ouch!

These days a good price from Kuala Lumpa into Cambodia will be around, say $25.

You may have to wait for a sale to get this kind of price but at some stage, it will be available, then you have to include the price gouge on seats and stuff.

I have noticed that some fights going into Siem Reap are less expensive than those going to Phnom Penh, which would not have been the case years ago.

So......you can still get inexpensive flights, you just have to bide your time.

Have fun

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wildly changing air fares into (and out of) siem reap

Haha good suggestion although I haven't seen a RM 80 price for KL to SR for a long time! And many of us here are coming from quite far with very expensive intercontinental flights (Australia like you or Europe like me) so it doesn't make a lot of sense for most of us to wait and wait till there is a $25 versus $50 ticket to SR when you then have to book the real expensive intercontinental flight with no flexibility in order to save $25 on the flight to SR. But great suggestion for some I am sure!

7. Re: wildly changing air fares into (and out of) siem reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 05:17