We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes to wear

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Taipei, Taiwan
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Clothes to wear

Planning to come here during mid August, and I was wondering what type of shoes should I wear, since we will be hiking up the temples. I really don't want to wear my running shoes and ruin them while hiking. I'm looking to buy maybe some hiking sandals since it's summer. Any suggestion?

Also what kind of clothes ? I've read some comments saying you're not allowed to wear shorts while inside temple.

Thanks.

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Clothes to wear

Can I please jump onto this topic and ask a question? Firstly, I was wondering about taking hiking boots rather than trainers, but they are quite heavy and probably hot to wear - would trainers be better for Angkor Wat or will hiking boots be better on slippery steps?

Also, I know it's advisable to wear long sleeves because of mosquitos but I have seen a lot of pictures of people in just t-shirts. I'm having trouble finding long-sleeved tops that aren't thick, I don't want to be overheating all day but then I don't want to be bitten either. If anyone has any suggestions for the types of clothing I could wear, or places I could buy them, that would be really helpful! I'm female, 30s, quite overweight - which doesn't make finding clothes all that easy. I'm thinking chiffon or georgette sleeves i.e. sheer material that is loose and not too hot - would that be the best idea?

Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Clothes to wear

Wear whatever you will be comfortable walking around in the heat. No need to wear hiking boots or long sleaves. As others already posted you need to have your shoulders and knees covered. For mosquitos, just use a good repelent. If heat bothers you, then get to the temples early and take a break when it starts to get hot.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Clothes to wear

i always wear boots except when swimming:) for me boots are more suitable for my off the track adventures,i also wear long pants covers my legs,i wear light weigh clothing that is loose and light coloured,easy to buy at the markets and cheap,i am quite tall ,well over 6 ft and never had a problem with finding suitable cloths.

birmingham
Level Contributor
259 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Clothes to wear

While in Bali years ago my wife and I bought a sarong to wear while visiting their temples. Do people do the same in Cambodia?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Clothes to wear

No, they wear wrap skirts. Many just wear pants nowadays.The sarongs you will see beign worn by barang (foreigners) on the beaches...

16. Re: Clothes to wear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:19