We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bag for temple touring

Anaheim, California
5 posts
Save Topic
Bag for temple touring

Hi! We're planning a 5 day trip to Siem Reap next year and was wondering what kinds of bags you took with you while touring the temples.

Is it ok to keep the bag behind you like a backpack or sling bag? Or better to keep in front, like maybe a crossbody bag?

Thanks!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bag for temple touring

I always use a small daypack for traveling, in myhome ocountry of Japan and around Southeast Asia as well. Here's why-

Your hands are free, it holds a lot and your shoulder won't get tired. It's also harder to be taken off your body by a would-be thief. According to a lot of recent reports (on these forums as well!), those cross-body things are being targeted as they are eaisly pulled off someone's body, knocking them down in the process. And a shoulder bag is of course much easier to remove...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,362 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bag for temple touring

Why take a bag at all?

The less you carry the less to loose or be concerned about.

I've never found a need for a bag over a couple of decades of enjoying the Angkor region and its many temple ruins and other wonderful sights etc.

Best regards. Ian

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bag for temple touring

In my backpack I carry my telephoto lens, spare battery + filter, bugspray, etc, there's no way I'd want to have that all in my hands when I'm walking around the temples...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bag for temple touring

A small back pack as Maneki says is appropriate for carrying your water, sunscreen, camera etc..

But it really is your choice.

Anaheim, California
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bag for temple touring

Angkorlad - I wouldn't want to take a bag with me either, but will need something to hold essentials like water bottle, guides, camera equipment, etc. Also, I don't know how safe it is to keep things in my pocket, so phone and wallet may have to go in the bag too :)

Maneki - We were thinking the same thing. Will most likely take a small daypack like you suggested. There are going to be two of us, so we could just take turns carrying it.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,362 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bag for temple touring

It's very much a personal thing.

Some people seem to travel with the kitchen sink and the ironing board as well etc.

Others leave all non-essentials behind at the hotel etc.

Personally, a small bottle of water fits easily in to any of my pockets as does my constant companion of a bulky notebook - and anything else is so freely available at all, or very nearly all, of the locations/sites within the Angkor region.

A camera bag is a different thing and I do, just occasionally, carry one with my photo impedimenta in it.

Otherwise its a case for me of always the less the better.

You would not be surprised when I say that far too many people either loose things or leave things behind at so many sites/sights and/or refreshment stops/breaks.

As I say, its very much a personal thing.

All best regards. Ian

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bag for temple touring

Minet-

My daypack, even packed with stuff, is no burden on my body. But as you said, you could take turns carrying it if it proves t be cumbersome. I personally consume vast amounts of water so a liter or two are necessary for a long day out, but I leave that in the tuk-tuk, don't need to be drinking water when I'm in a temple...

Anaheim, California
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bag for temple touring

Thanks for all the input guys! Will definitely keep them in mind.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,834 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bag for temple touring

I always like to have some stuff with me as well and sometimes don't feel like carrying the small knapsack on me when walking around the temples. So I just take my water (if I'll be off for a longer visit) and camera and leave the bag with my trusted tuk tuk driver knowing that it will be absolutely safe with him.

Edited: 12 August 2013, 10:20
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
425 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bag for temple touring

And I'd like to say that reading too many of these posts brings a some kind of scares in you.

Its no different here than any other place...locals stealing a bag from you either means that you don't pay any attention or just wanna do an insurance fraud...

Bring a big bag if you want to sweat your pants of...bring a small one if you just want another workout...bring a panty if you just want a normal walkthrough and have pockets for the things you really need...

There are always stealings, scams and fraud's as answers here, which are very important things to think about. Don't make them thoughts grab your minds and change your holiday to much.