We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Siemreap

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bundaberg
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
5 days in Siemreap

My family and I are staying in Siemens reap for 5 days. We have decided that we are definitely hiring bikes in Angkor wat and riding to different temples. That's it though we really don't know where to stay, eat, shop, or to go to. Would love some opinions or help. So I know you probably need to know what my families interests are but I'm not going to because I would rather if you just suggested anything that you think is fantastic or something that you love doing there weather I'm interested or not

Thanks billie

Bundaberg
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Siemreap

I will be there in January by the way

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Siemreap

Hi Billie!

We just returned from 6 days in Siem Reap and had a fantastic time!

Please read my trip report here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297390-i9163-k680…

As for hotels, we certainly enjoyed the Golden Butterfly, as described in the report.

I also describe there biking options and experiences.

Our photos and videos from the visit are here;

flickr.com/photos/…

Biking was a blast. The first few kilometers heading out from Siem Reap are a bit crazy with the traffic, but as you work your way out into the temples, there is less and less traffic. We rode the "Big Circuit" counterclockwise, visiting a few temples along the way, and it took us about 5-6 hours (26KM). You could take longer if you spent more time at the temples.

If you need a good tuk tuk driver, we enjoyed Mr. Sokkun ( sokkun08@gmail.com ), who was very helpful and kind. His rates ranged from 12-20$/day depending on distance traveled. E.g., one day we went out to Kbal Spean and hiked in the mountains ...since that was farther out, the tuk tuk was a bit more. Mr. Sokkun was suggested by the hotel, and picked us up at the Siem Reap airport when we arrived and took us back to the hotel on day 1.

I enjoyed the combination of tuk tuk, biking and mountain hikes on different days. I also enjoyed dinner shadow-puppet theatre. I don't know how old your family are, but kids might enjoy this as well?

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157635164399153

I also liked hiring a guide for at least 1 day to walk us through the major temples. We learned a lot that we would not have understood otherwise!

What I regret: we spent most of our temple time from 9:00AM to about 4:00PM when the light is not optimal for photography. Noon day light is the worst time for great shots. With our next trip I intend to do more early morning and late evening visits to catch better light for our photographs.

-Karl

Bundaberg
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Siemreap

Oops spell checker changed siem to Siemens sorry everyone hope I didn't affend anyone. So sorry that's really bad of me! Oops really sorry

4. Re: 5 days in Siemreap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2013, 13:16
Bundaberg
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Siemreap

Yer sure we will be there on the 11th febuary to the 15th and I was just wondering what is the name of your tuk tuk service?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,208 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in Siemreap

Billie .. he's touting his own business which is strictly against TA policy

Get your hotel to organise your transport and for lots more info check out www.canbypublications.com

things to do link in the green bar at the top of this page and www.travelfish.org

Bundaberg
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in Siemreap

Yer sure we will be there on the 11th febuary to the 15th and I was just wondering what is the name of your tuk tuk service? Thanks for your report that sounds amazing. Can I ask who you hired to show you around the temples?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days in Siemreap

>>guide for temples

We asked our hotel (the Golden Butterfly, great hotel!) for a good guide. Evidently there are 4000 certified guides! They suggested a Mr. Sim, who met us the morning of our guided tour day at our hotel, along with the tuk tuk driver Mr. Sokkun. The four of us spent the day together. Sokkum would wait at the tuk tuk while Sim would walk us through each site, explaining what we were seeing. Sim had a Samsung tablet on which he had exhaustively stored maps, photos (e.g., historical photos of the same sites before restoration), etc. ...very knowledgable and helpful. We got a much deeper appreciation for the temples that one doesn't get just wandering through.

Other days, we returned to favorite temples to explore on our own, but having Sim for at least one day was great!

-K

Edited: 06 September 2013, 15:25
9. Re: 5 days in Siemreap

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2013, 12:41
10. Re: 5 days in Siemreap

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 05:16