We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Ker and Beng Melea worth visiting

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Ker and Beng Melea worth visiting

We are coming back to Siem Reap again this year, had five days last year and loved it so this time seeing a bit more of Cambodia and then finishing up with three nights in Siem Reap. I am looking to get a temple pass for one day and see something else . Not sure if to stay in the main area or head out further to see Koh Ker and Beng Melea (which I understand is not covered by the pass) Any thoughts on this or suggestions of something else to see , we did Sras Srang, Ta Prohm, Ta Som , Neak Pean, Banteay Srei, Banteay Samre, Pre Rup, Banteay Kdey, Angkor Thom and Angkor Wat of course, so we did see quite a few.

I would love to see the Bayon again and thought of seeing Angkor Wat at sunset, we did go at sunrise before, is sunset worth it. Thought I may try another temple first thing in the morning as we found it made so much difference getting there early. When we did Angkor Thom we were the only ones there for quite some time which was great, they were all over at Angkor Wat. If we visited Beng Melea is it all scrambling over rocks as I can be a bit unsteady sometimes, not bad but just have to be careful so this concerned me a bit or would it be worth visiting. I presume a car is better for this than a tuk tuk because of the distance.

Guisborough, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Ker and Beng Melea worth visiting

I've read that Beng Melea was used in a movie so they built wooden walkways which remain in place today so if you don't want to walk on the rocks you won't have to. We're booked to do a moto trip with Khmer Ways for our Beng Melea trip so will get there when it's quite busy I imagine and it would be quicker and safer by car. However, I've read that going early morning or late afternoon is the quietest time. I think entry to this area is around $5 each so not expensive at all.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Ker and Beng Melea worth visiting

Planks were set up 4~5 years ago to facilitate movement at Beng Mealea. That ruined it for me, but for others, it is still magnificent. There is no admission per se but there is a $5 road toll to get there.

siem reap
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Ker and Beng Melea worth visiting

No road toll now.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Ker and Beng Melea worth visiting

So is it worth going there or doing other temples closer to SR this will probably be our last visit to Cambodia unfortunately

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Ker and Beng Melea worth visiting

And what about the $5 entrance fee to Beng Mealea?

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Ker and Beng Melea worth visiting

i dont know lenny,it was there last time i went:)but heading that way today so will check out the toll fee,i will be visiting both Beng Melea and Koh Ker on my way to PV.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Ker and Beng Melea worth visiting

is it worth it on a 5 day trip? yes and no,there are lots of temples around but the trip out there is quite interesting and i would do it if i was you but i cant anwser if its right for you,u will see lots of tourist now at Beng Melea:(

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Ker and Beng Melea worth visiting

Lenny, it is a road toll, I have been there twice and have never paid an "entrance fee". I'll let you know after I visit again in December if anything has changed.

siem reap
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh Ker and Beng Melea worth visiting

I was there end of July.No road toll.They even took down the booths.They will ask for the money when you go in.BM and KK.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
177 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koh Ker and Beng Melea worth visiting

Beng Melea is amazing and definitely worth the visit. Try to time it later in the day. It's very popular and gets hordes of visitors throughout most of the day but calms down dramatically by 4:30. There's also a small temple on the road outside the west entrance called prasat chray that is completely abandoned and forgotten and well worth a look. Combining Koh ker with Beng Melea makes for a really nice afternoon. The main temple at Koh Ker is really unusual (more like a pyramid) and the setting is very serene. It doesn't get big crowds which makes it speacial. You could even combine both with Phnom bok (if you start really early) by going to Phnom bok first, driving to koh ker and then ending at beng melea. It will be busy but worth it. Phnom bok is really nice if the plumeria trees are blooming (two gigantic trees come out of the temple's towers and are full of flowers. The sight and smell is astounding.) I don't believe you need the angkor ticket (or any ticket) for phnom bok.