We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cure for dengue fever

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Cure for dengue fever

BOth the Herald Sun and the Courier Mail here in Australia reporting that a cure for dengue fever will be on the market next year

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cure for dengue fever

Forum readers will find this lead somewhat more informative than the OP:

dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/world-fi…

Best regards. Ian

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cure for dengue fever

WOW! Very cool! Beautiful example also of the innate wisdom and potential of mother nature herself to heal ills caused by other bits of mother nature.

Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cure for dengue fever

That is awesome! Thanks for the head's up.

Edited: 26 September 2013, 17:29
Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cure for dengue fever

Really good news. Lets hope it out by Feb next yr lol

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cure for dengue fever

A rather more negative spin on this piece of news cairns.com.au/article/…248498_local-news.html

Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cure for dengue fever

Keep applying the DEET folks. This is no more a cure than lots of other bogus 'natural' remedies where the performance of a concentrated extract from a plant when applied to a bacteria or virus in a laboratory culture, has absolutely no bearing on the metabolic and physiological reality of what happens inside a human body. Sorry, but no cure here.

Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cure for dengue fever

Oh well, maybe it was too good to be true. Time will tell. In the mean time, I'll keep using 20% Picaridin. It's plant based, is incredibly effective, and doesn't melt plastic (like DEET does). Used it two years ago in Thailand and Cambodia, after the bad floods. Mosquitoes abounded, but I did not get bit once. I remember sitting outside at a hotel restaurant in Bangkok. The biters were pretty heavy and would fly towards me, only to veer off once they came within a foot or so from me. I bring a couple of 2 ounce bottles, and some single-use wipes (handy to apply before getting off the plane). Good stuff.

Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cure for dengue fever

Good point about the picardin based products except note that picardin is not a natural product but is a synthetic chemical developed by Bayer in the 1980s.

Can anyone tell us if picardin products are easily available in Cambodia? The only brand I'm aware of here in Australia is Off, and I think it only comes in quantities that would fail the carry on rules.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cure for dengue fever

Anitra - I have seen Off sprays at Lucky Market in Siem Reap and other places, it seems to be pretty available around the country. But many of the Off products use deet, so you'll need to read the label to be sure. I use a spray that is all natural, and buy it there - it has Citronella oil and no deet or picardin, both of which have caused a severe reaction for me.

Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cure for dengue fever

Oops, my bad on Picaridin being plant based. It is a synthetic that mimics a plant compound. I get the "Natrapel" brand here in the States at either REI or Sports Authority. Comes in 2 ounce bottles, which is perfect for keeping in pants pockets at all times. If I remember right, one bottle lasts a solid week when applying it religiously every 8 hours. I'm bringing two this fall for when I go back to Cambodia for 10 days, along with a handful of wipes. Doesn't smell bad, either, and doesn't bother my skin like DEET does (or melt certain plastics). Though everyone's physiology is different when it comes to sensitivities. And no, I do not work for, or own stock in the company that makes it! ; )