We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siem Reap to Sihnoukville-best, fastest and cheapest

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Siem Reap to Sihnoukville-best, fastest and cheapest

Any insight on getting from Siem Reap to Sihnoukville in a cheap and fast manner would be welcomed. I've heard some nightmarish bus stories. Want to avoid that.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siem Reap to Sihnoukville-best, fastest and cheapest

Cheapest bus. Fastest fly. The two conditions being generally mutually exclusive until free teletransportation arrives.

Edited: 14 November 2013, 12:13
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siem Reap to Sihnoukville-best, fastest and cheapest

The 1hr flight is only £75. Depends if you'd rather spend 12+ hours on a bus instead for a cheaper price

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,886 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siem Reap to Sihnoukville-best, fastest and cheapest

Personally, I wouldn't want to do this trip in one day but would break my journey in Phnom Penh for the night.

If you look at a good map of Cambodia you will note that Phnom Penh is the transport "hub" for the country and the point from which all roads radiate; as such, you can not bypass this city in your travels other than by flying. In addition to which a change of buses is involved and in some cases a change of bus companies too.

Best regards. Ian

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
6 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siem Reap to Sihnoukville-best, fastest and cheapest

I honestly recommend flying -- it's a very quick 1 hr flight on Angkor Air, and I was surprised by how smoothly it went. It's not terribly expensive, and I think it's much preferable to taking a 12-14 hour bus ride. And the airport in SR is very nice -- much nicer than I was anticipating.

If you do decide to take a bus, I would also recommend breaking it up into 2 trips: SR to Phnom Penh and then Phnom Penh to SHK. The Giant Ibis Bus line is actually really nice, with very comfortable seats and good A/C, and there are some interesting sights along the way. We took the bus from PP to SR and were pleased overall, but it does start to get a little tiring after a while. With 2 stops for restroom breaks and food, it took us about 7 hours to cover just that portion.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
36 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siem Reap to Sihnoukville-best, fastest and cheapest

I have done the night bus and the day bus. The seats are very comfy and if you take the most expensive (?$18) you get a free snack and drink and a tour hostess during the day to talk about the sites along the way. Travelling through the countryside is a pleasure, however I'll be flying in January because of time restrictions.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siem Reap to Sihnoukville-best, fastest and cheapest

I am doing the same, but in opposite direction.

I weighed my options, 6 hour bus ride, a night in phenom penh, food drink etc, then get up and another 6-7 hour bus trip.

Or for around $100 u.s , a one hour flight.

A no brainer, flying here I come.

I travel Asia extensively, flights are very cheap, and my vacation time is better spend at my destination then in a bus!

7. Re: Siem Reap to Sihnoukville-best, fastest and cheapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:20