We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you pre book a taxi from Poipet to SR?

london.
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Can you pre book a taxi from Poipet to SR?

Hi, Hubby and I will be arriving at Poipet having caught the 05.55 train from Bangkok and wondered if it was, A. possible to pre book a taxi or B. needed?

We're not as young as we used to be and after a very early start really don't fancy the bus or fending off the police with bribes to get a taxi (read this somewhere else) just want as smooth a possible transfer between the boarder and the hotel, yet to be picked.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you pre book a taxi from Poipet to SR?

Best thing to do is ask your hotel if you want to pre-arrange that pickup. Most will arrange although some don't.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 22:17
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
253 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you pre book a taxi from Poipet to SR?

After you have your Visa .There is the Entry Stamp Office next to this is a free Shuttle Bus for the short ride to the Bus Station where you have the choice of a Mini Van $10 or shared Taxi $12 each

Purchase your ticket and the transport is arranged for you.

I have never had a problem in the 9 times i have used it.

Iti is 2 hours to S.R To the best of my knowledge there are no Buses after 10:30 If you purchase your Visa on the Thai side of the border you will pay $40 instead of $20 in Cambodia

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you pre book a taxi from Poipet to SR?

Some form of booking possibly thru your hotel

Sorting thru the myriad of local cowboys is not

threatening but needs care

JHB South Africa
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you pre book a taxi from Poipet to SR?

I recently booked a taxi through the hotel i'm staying at. (Golden Temple). costs a little bit more than what i have read but worth the extra money to avoid the bus terminal and other scams i come across

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you pre book a taxi from Poipet to SR?

Alex, where did your driver greet you? Did you need to be in phone or text contact to coordinate final times or find each other? Thanks.

By the way, sending a taxi from SR will always cost a bit more than grabbing one at the border, so that was quite normal. And indeed for many people it is well worthwhile.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you pre book a taxi from Poipet to SR?

Finding the taxi was the easy bit for us.

My advice is to avoid anyone offering free buses. Just keep walking until someone offers you a taxi, and only get in if it is directly into a taxi.

london.
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you pre book a taxi from Poipet to SR?

Thanks everyone for the info. By time we arrive we will have had around 4 hours sleep in the previous 24 hours. Had the same thing in India when, after 3 hours sleep in 24, I gave the guy carrying my bag to our room a tip off $100 US dollars, rather than rupees. I did have excellent service from every employee whilst staying there for some reason!.

So that was lesson learned, I need more kip than that now I'm over 50 to make sensible decisions.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you pre book a taxi from Poipet to SR?

From my experience the main problem is the chaos of the place, communicating with whoever you might have organised a taxi with, and the eventual problem of meeting the pick-up.

You are arriving by train via Aranyapraphet, so the train could be late or very late. How do you communicate that down the line?

How do you know how long it'll take you to exit Thailand, cross the wilderness, and then go through Cambodian Immigration?

Then you'll still be a needle in a haystack.

Exiting Poipet is fairly easy, but doing it in the other direction and meeting up with a rendezvous is probably a bit more of a challenge.

Good luck!

9. Re: Can you pre book a taxi from Poipet to SR?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 05:19