We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for driver/guide Angkor Wat

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for driver/guide Angkor Wat

Hi there,

I've read a few posts that say $10/day for guide, $5/day for driver for tips. Is this sufficient, or low?

Thanks!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for driver/guide Angkor Wat

Hi,

No way, the least you should be paying for a guide is $30 a day and for a driver, $15 for a tuk tuk and $25 for an air-con car. These guys need to live.

Cheers

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,671 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for driver/guide Angkor Wat

you have obviously not been reading any of the recent posts .....that is not even fair .. let alone enough to feed their family!

I think $20/day for your tuk tuk is fair - as Paulo says - these guys have to live.. and you should expect to add $$ for sunrise and much more for surther afield - petrol prices are very high

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for driver/guide Angkor Wat

Paulo and Helen - the OP asked about tipping - not a daily rate:) Stoutart - that is more than sufficient.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for driver/guide Angkor Wat

Ha, thanks Lynn011! I'm not trying to rip these people off, which is why I posted a fair question about tipping. I searched as much as I could and found a few mentions of $10, which seemed low to me, but 100% tip a seems excessive.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for driver/guide Angkor Wat

No worries - We usually tip a couple of $ at the end of each day, and then a bit more at the end of the visit if we've had the same driver for the couple of weeks we are there. Helen and Paulo make very good points about the costs involved for the drivers and guides - many don't own their rig outright and so are also paying to rent it. The cost of fuel has gone up every time we return (as is the cost of food in the markets) - when you figure out an "hourly" rate - they really don't make very much at all, which is a shame because they tend to be just great people and good company. Enjoy your trip:)

Dunsborough...
Level Contributor
89 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for driver/guide Angkor Wat

Sto, tipping is a US thing, and not required in most of the world. Pay an amount that will provide them a good day's work, as agreed $20 for tuktuk and $35 for guide. You don't need to tip.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,671 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for driver/guide Angkor Wat

LOL Lynn, see what happens when you think/read with an Aussie/English brain rather than an American brain - tips to us really means 'hints, ideas, suggestons' - it really doesn't equate to handing over additional money.

looking forward to April!

cheers

helen

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for driver/guide Angkor Wat

Ahhhh, yes thmoore, we use the word for both meanings :)

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for driver/guide Angkor Wat

Haha Helen - well we sometimes give hints and ideas as well:) It is no wonder English is such a difficult language to learn! Gratuity is actually the "correct" word. Yes, very much looking forward to April!

10. Re: Tips for driver/guide Angkor Wat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:19