We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget check for an upcoming trip and Q about pools

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Budget check for an upcoming trip and Q about pools

Hi, all! I'm getting increasingly excited for my upcoming trip to Siem Reap and am working on figuring out budget-type stuff. I've looked at FAQs and old threads to get some roundabout figures and wanted to check in regarding what it's looking like so far with people who've been in Siem Reap recently. My husband and I are pretty budget travelers but don't necessarily track every penny. Generally we eat at small, local restaurants and don't get into the bar scene. For reference, we're staying at the Golden Takeo for $14/night.

Excluding hotel, are these costs reasonable?

Tuk-tuk $60 ($15/day, 4 days)

Car + driver $30 (one day for outlying temples)

Food $100 (~$20/day, 5 days)

H20 $15 ($3/day, 5 days)

Angkor Pass $80 (X2, 3 day pass. If we're going to be in Siem Reap 5 days, are there things to do to fill the days without buying the 7 day pass? We'll get the 7 day if needed...)

Does that look okay for the basics? Is there something glaring I'm missing?

I'm on the fence about the following options/items. I'm sure some of them will make it into the final budget, but I'd love to hear strong yea/nay opinions.

Guide for Angkor temples (probably only a day or two)

Guide for outlying temples (to assist with interpretation/navigation, too)

Apsara Show

Phare Show

Angkor Center for Conservation of Biodiversity

And finally, since we'll be in Siem Reap from March 16-21, when it'll be an average of 93* F, I'm wondering about pools or other options for swimming. Our hotel doesn't have one. What hotels allow swimming with a meal or a daypass? Is it worth it to stay in a hotel with a pool, even a small one, rather than one without, if we'd use it? How about waterfalls/rivers when we go to explore the outlying temples.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Detroit
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget check for an upcoming trip and Q about pools

We were there 5 days during the hot, dry season, had a nice pool at our hotel and never used it. It seemed like there were so many other things to do! We did a 3 day pass, with 2 full days in the park and 1 evening for sunset, though next time I'd skip the sunset and go for the outlying temples like you are planning. For us it was enough, but we enjoyed the markets and also you can do a full day trip at the Tonle Sap to see the floating villages. An Apsara show is a must, the one we saw was fairly expensive because it was included with a buffet dinner. Full-day tuk tuks are only about $8/day to go to Angkor. Have fun!

Dunsborough...
Level Contributor
89 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget check for an upcoming trip and Q about pools

Disagree on pool, was in it every day with a drink.

Agree on outlying temples - make the time if you can. Never been to an Angkor sunrise. Too early to get up, and I'm on holiday.

Be in Cambodia in two weeks. Can't wait!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget check for an upcoming trip and Q about pools

" Full-day tuk tuks are only about $8/day to go to Angkor. " - are you kidding....that wouldn't even pay the rent for the poor driver! Try more like $15-20 at least....

Wirral
Level Contributor
728 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget check for an upcoming trip and Q about pools

We are currently in Siem reap, Your budgets for eating in small local places is fine, However i would suggest a hotel with pool, god we needed it on our return from the temples, we are staying at the Motherhome Inn $29.00 per night includes breakfast lovely little place.

Regards

bb

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget check for an upcoming trip and Q about pools

definately agree about a pool have stayed at hotels with pools and also at guesthouse where you could use hotel pool just down the road, found that by the time we got back to our rooms from the other hotel we couldn' t feel any of the benefits of the pool

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget check for an upcoming trip and Q about pools

There is a hotel on Wat Bo road somewhere between Street 21 and 22, that advertises pool use for I think it was $3. Never felt the need to use it, so can't tell you what it was like. You can walk there.

Hire bikes in Wat Bo road, in a similar area to the above, for $1 a day. Great way to see the town and saves on tuktuks. Our transport for 8 days cost us $16.

2 cheap local places to eat on Wat Bo.

Lunchtime. On the corner, I think it was Street 22, but maybe a bit farther was a lovely place that charged us $1.50 for a noodle soup lunch for 2 people and that included iced green tea.

At night - a lit-up sign of $3.50 BBQ - eat as much as you like.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget check for an upcoming trip and Q about pools

$15 a day for Tuk-tuk - often that is the day only - for getting to and from places in the evenings, you will most likely have to pay extra. Your daytime driver will probably want to go home to his family.

There are restaurants within walking distance of your hotel, but I didn't find much. And not much in the local line at least.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 09:44
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget check for an upcoming trip and Q about pools

Thanks, everyone! Sounds like a pool is personal preference. Given that our hotel doesn't have one for the first couple of days, we'll see how much it's worth to us to have one.

Any thoughts about sights a little father afield, like Koh Ker, Kulen, etc? I'm thinking they sound great, but wasn't sure if the cost was worth it.

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget check for an upcoming trip and Q about pools

I loved Beng Melea and recommend it to all friends who go there

10. Re: Budget check for an upcoming trip and Q about pools

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 06:17