We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aspara Dance ...

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swadlincote, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Aspara Dance ...

Hi All,

On an Air Asia flight last year I read an article about a Cambodian lady that had returned to Cambodia to set up a dance school and try to teach people all about Cambodian dance and traditions in an attempt to restore the tradition itself and increase tourism ... I can't remember where the school was but think it was SIem Reap and I'd really like to see if they're performing anywhere so that I can support them when I'm there ... Does anyone know anything about this?

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
87 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aspara Dance ...

Maybe u could go thru Air Asia, I think all there mags are online. There is plenty of Aspara dancing to be seen in Siem Reap, very classical.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aspara Dance ...

Please use the forum search function/engine for lots of factual information on this topic.

Or just look for older postings such as this one as most performance at Siem Reap are touristic kitch:

Angkorlad Sydney posts: 7,015 Save this Post

2. Re: spending Khmer New Year in Siem Reap

06 January 2010, 6:56

Hello yOghurt,

I have to take strong exception with you about APSARA performances at Siem Reap.

Siem Reap is the home of APSARA dancing.

You get what you pay for so what do you expect for free?

There are outstanding cultural performances to be seen at :

Angkor Village Performance Centre - part of the Angkor Village Hotel

and at

(Raffles) Grand d'Angkor Hotel on the Apsara Terrace.

Bookings are essential at both of the above.

Of the above two, the finer is at the Grand d' Angkor. Ros, the old dance mistress, was a former lead dancer and performer at the Royal Palace in the 1960's. She is a tough and demanding Chef de Balet indeed.

That at the Kulen 2 Hotel is reasonable for a mass tourist evening but no where in the league of the above two.

Best regards. Ian

Sydney
Level Contributor
770 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aspara Dance ...

A bit of digging found that the buffet at the Apsara Terrace is $49 per head, I only read a few reviews but the first three I read were not glowing.

Ian, do you know how much the performance is at Angkor Village Performance Centre? Is that also a dinner show?

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aspara Dance ...

Yes, it is a dinner show and you should contact them for current prices.

Short of taking in a performance of the Khmer Royal Ballet, largely performing overseas these days, or attending a performance of Cambodian Living Arts qv Google, then you are going to get lowest common denominator tourist mash in Siem Reap.

An alternative is to wait until you are in Phnom Penh and to attend an outdoors performance of PLAE PAKA (Fruitful), qv Google, at the National Museum Phnom Penh, at 7 pm. This is a mixed cultural performance of high quality.

Best regards. Ian

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aspara Dance ...

Hi, does anybody know if dinner is compulsory for the Raffles Apsara show if you are a staying at the Raffles?¿

Good reviews about the show, very bad for the buffet dinner.

Thanks¡¡

Sydney
Level Contributor
770 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aspara Dance ...

Oh I meant the buffet dinner didn't have glowing reviews. Thanks, I'll try find out what the costs are for Angkor Village.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aspara Dance ...

The food is just fine.

In fact, it is a combined Asian and Western buffet.

I've found it to be first class as one would expect at a Raffles Hotel.

Personally, I prefer to have pre-performance drinks in the classical Elephant Bar before walking up to the APSARA Terrace for the cultural performance and the International buffet.

All best regards. Ian

Sydney
Level Contributor
770 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aspara Dance ...

Regardless, it's a little on the pricey side for us with three kids along, but it does sound like it would be a very special night for all of us so we might be able to stretch the budget.

9. Re: Aspara Dance ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 06:28