We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 Days - Vietnam, Cambodia & Thailand - HELP !!

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
16 Days - Vietnam, Cambodia & Thailand - HELP !!

Hi All

I am booking my first asia trip and can only get 16 days off work so just trying to figure out what to do without killing myself . I want :

Amazing beaches

Buddhist temples

Floating markets

Rice fields

Adventure

Relaxation

Meet people

Okay so I want a lot and I cant decide. I'll be travelling by myself so also want to be safe and in places I will meet people. I want to have fun but I dont want all night drug fuelled parties which Thailand sounds a bit like. I also dont want to spend all my time by myself on a spiritual journey which Vietnam sounds like - PLEASE HELP THIS AMBITIOUS TRAVELLER !

Where should I fly into and how much time should I spend in each place and what is a must see.

Thanx forum !

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 Days - Vietnam, Cambodia & Thailand - HELP !!

Hi Charlie & welcome to TA

don;t know where you are getting your info but Thailand is not all drug fuelled parties, and Vietnam is not all solo spiritual journeys ... in fact quite the opposite in my experience. YOu could do a lot worse than spending all 16 days in Cambodia but since I am not a travel agent (TA doesn't stand for travel agent) nor do I want to plan your holiday, here are some tips on how you can make the most of everything available on this site so YOU can do your own (accurate) research and plan your own trip.

there are some fantastic features on TA that, as a newbie you may have missed seeing - there's so much to see at first it can all be a little overwhelming.

the best place for you to start is the top questions - upper right of this screen

then have a look in the 'things to do' link in the green bar at the top - make a list of things there which interest you

then for further info on any of these things - the search box (directly above your post on this page and at the top of the list of topics on each forum front page) will be your new best friend - use this function like a google search - key words & phrases - you'll get to all previous posts on that topic

while you're using the search box - look for trip reports (aka JBRs - just back reports) - I find these the best source of info when I start to plan a trip to a new destination.

when you have something more like a draft itinerary, post it here for comment - it's much easier for the regulars to help you if they have something to work from. It's a good idea too to give an indication of your budget, interests, and style of travel

hope this gets you started

cheers

helen

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 Days - Vietnam, Cambodia & Thailand - HELP !!

Hi , I have been doing tons of research and okay I was exagerating but thats why I'm looking for advice. The concensus seems to be that Thailand has become quite commercial, while others loved it . Apparently quite expensive too and three countries is too much to fit into 16 days so just need loads of advice.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 Days - Vietnam, Cambodia & Thailand - HELP !!

16 days - stay in Cambodia - it has everything you asked for and more

Sydney
Level Contributor
770 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 16 Days - Vietnam, Cambodia & Thailand - HELP !!

With 16 days I think you should definitely pick just one country. When are you going?

london
Level Contributor
924 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 16 Days - Vietnam, Cambodia & Thailand - HELP !!

Hi there

For 16 days just stick to one country and Cambodia would also have my vote. I would strongly recommend that you buy a guide book.....far easier than than web surfing.

Have a great trip

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 16 Days - Vietnam, Cambodia & Thailand - HELP !!

I would also recommend that you stick to one country - although you could do as we did and use Bangkok as either an entry or exit point and have 2 or 3 days there for a taste of Thailand. Of the 3, we want to go back to Vietnam, but I would go for the Northern part. The food is amazing, and we loved it (more than Cambodia). Of course, favourite places always comes down to personal opinion/preference, so it depends what kind of things you are interested in.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 16 Days - Vietnam, Cambodia & Thailand - HELP !!

Drug fuelled parties ...? in Thailand .... Wow that is a generalization isn't it. Although i may have partaken in 1 or 2...? anyways thanks for the laugh . I agree 16 days . Stick to one country. Cambodia is much cheaper than Thailand . And like said above guide books !!!

Sierra Vista...
Level Contributor
82 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 16 Days - Vietnam, Cambodia & Thailand - HELP !!

With only 16 days you should stick to 2 countries, my vote would be Thailand and Cambodia. My husband and I went to Ao Nang and Ko Phi Phi Island in Thailand and were also afraid of all the parties and were warned about how busy and crazy it was. Honestly it is really easy to avoid the bar areas and get to some secluded beaches or stay in hotels a bit off the main track.

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 16 Days - Vietnam, Cambodia & Thailand - HELP !!

16 days! Suggestion maybe either Southern Vietnam travelling from Saigon via Mekong to PP then balance of time in Cambodia for variety, or personally would do entire 16 days in Cambodia. Cheers

boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 16 Days - Vietnam, Cambodia & Thailand - HELP !!

Planning a similar trip. I have figured out over time how to enjoy myself without feeling pressured while still seeing as much as I feel comfortable seeing....because I WANT to see/do these things. I do best with 2-5 days at one locale, depending on my goals. Of course, I've spent three weeks in one country and found it to be too little time.........but, again, it depends on your goals and your personality. Here is my trip if this is helpful to your thinking. I'm using Air Asia for most of the local flights as they just had a huge sale and I kept all the flight to a total of less than $200. This trip will be 3 weeks for me and I am flying into Kuala Lumpur and headed almost immediately to Kota Kinabalu (Borneo) for some jungle trekking a bit of the ocean. Next stop is for just 2 days outside of Sandakan for a trip in the wild to see the orangutans. From there, back to KL to meet up with a friend and catch a flight to Siem Reap. 4 days there and we are still deciding on the 3 days after that. I've been to Bangkok (and love it) and she has not...it's super easy on the budget. Would love to go to Luang Pabrang or Hanoi, but both are more expensive and difficult to get in and out of. We are, ultimately, landing in Bali to meet up with a bunch of friends who have rented a villa for a week. So the above itinerary is, generally, one week alone, the second week with a friend and the third week in Bali with the group. We are all in our 50s.........for whatever that is worth. Lots of hiking, temples, wildlife, culture and general lazing around. 5 countries in 24 days. I'm sure that sounds exhausting for some, but for me, it sounds heavenly!