We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from 5 days in Siem Reap

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Back from 5 days in Siem Reap

I wanted to write up a little something following 5 days my husband and I spent in Siem Reap. I relied heavily on reviews and advice from tripadvisor to put the trip together, so hopefully this info will help someone else.

We got into Siem Reap at 10:xx pm on a Sunday night after long, long, long flights from Ohio. It was so nice having someone with a sign with our names on it waiting to take us to the hotel and just crash. None of the thinking involved with trying to find a decent place at a decent price that I've been known to do in the past.

So...Tip 1: Book a room in advance, at least for a night. Ask them to arrange an airport pickup. It's just much easier. If you like the hotel, see if you can stay longer. If not, there are places all over town to stay.

On Day 1, we meandered around town and just got our bearings. We stopped in an active temple complex near the river, went to the grocery store (always a great way to get an introduction to a place), wandered some markets, visited the museum and generally got over being jet-lagged. Sunset at the temples didn't happen as we fell asleep early and slept through the night.

Tips of the day: 1)Don't underestimate jetlag... 2)The Angkor museum is a great GREAT introduction to what you'll see at the temples, but laid out in chronological order. I imagine a guide would be able to give a similar introduction, but we found the musuem to be really helpful in understanding a lot of what we went on to see later in the week.

Day 2: Early breakfast, and off to the temples we went. We used a tuk tuk driver from the hotel. He didn't really speak great English, so it was awkward at times, but he safely got us where we needed to go. Small circuit didn't feel particularly small and it took all day. Bayon was the highlight of the day by far, though Ta Prohm was pretty good, too. It wasn't anywhere near as jungley as I thought it was going to be.

Tip of the day: Read "Temple of a Thousand Faces" on the plane/bus to Siem Reap. You'll feel like you know Jayavarman VII, who built Bayon. It also helps with understanding the coexistence of Hinduism and Buddism that's all throughout the temple complexes.

Day 3: Long, busy day with the outliers. Beng Mealea, Kbal Spean, Bantey Srei. We, again, took a tuk tuk, which is not generally recommended to the outliers. I understand why, because it's a long, dusty trip and really, really long for the tuk-tuk driver especially. It turned out okay, though, and was a nice way to see the countryside. Same driver as before. The only downside was forgetting to check prices of the lunch before ordering. Of course, the dishes that were advertised as $2 at the stall next door came on our check as $5.

Beng Mealea was FANTASTIC!!!! I can't stress that enough. Very informal, easy to explore and as rough as you want it to be. When the guide invited us to climb around on the ruins, we couldn't believe it. While we were there there was a film crew doing some sort of fashion shoot, which provided an interesting contrast to the ruggedness of the surroundings. I also brought a deck of UNO cards with me and while my husband and I sat down to have a game, we attracted the attention of the local kids who were using the ruins as their playground. A group of 6 kids now know how to play UNO and are the proud owners of an UNO deck, should anyone happen by and wonder how that got started.

Kbal Spean was a wonderful hike in the woods, lots of natural beauty in the area and virtually empty. There's a refreshing waterfall downstream from the carvings that makes the trek back down the hill more pleasant. Banteay Srei was beautiful in the late afternoon light. The pink colors really show up well on pictures.

Tips of the day: Definitely visit Beng Mealea. Really... Don't miss it! And, if you go to Kbal Spean, it shares a parking lot with the Center for Conservation of Biodiversity. There are tours of the wildlife center in late morning and at 1:00 pm. We were 15 minutes too late for the last tour, but had I known about it in advance I would have tried to attend.

Day 4: We were hoping to go to Preah Vihear today, but the hotel informed us the night before that it wasn't going to happen. I'm not entirely sure of the reasons, but I'd guess they didn't want to send somebody all that way for a day and didn't want to lose our booking for an overnight. Because we didn't find out until the night before, and we would have needed to leave early in the morning, we had a free day in Siem Reap. My husband surprised me to no end by claiming to be "templed out" (he's a former archaeologist...I swear someone snatched his body on the plane), so we bummed around town again for a lot of the day. We went to Artisans d'Angkor and also took a tour of the silk workshop outside of town. To do our duty to society, we went to the Angkor Hospital for Children and my husband gave blood (my iron was too low, and they don't really need type A blood). He got a nice t-shirt, some cookies and a can of coca-cola and an excuse to laze around for the rest of the day, which he did by a pool. We spent the evening doing a street food tour through the River Garden Hotel and also booked a village walk and talk through Beyond Unique Adventures for the following morning.

Tips of the day (there are many): 1)Donate blood. To children. Or Adults. Just do it. 2) Don't be afraid to not see temples one day. You won't know what you don't see. 3) Street food is great! Get the stuff that can't really go bad, like fried dough products or freshly cut produce. Snakefruit are delicious and if you see a Pancake cart, get one. No, really...they're cheap. Get one. 4) Don't pay for a tuktuk to go to the silk workshop. Go to the Artisans d'Angkor main office and ask when their bus leaves. It goes a few times a day for free.

Day 5: Our last day in Siem Reap. We started our day with a village walk and talk through Beyond Unique Adventures. You can book one in the office in downtown Siem Reap (you'll see the office, I promise). It was a great way to learn a little about the Cambodia not associated with the temples. Souvenier shopping followed, picking up pepper and amok powder and scarves and durian candy. We did a lot of people-watching in the afternoon and immensely enjoyed watching the city die down around 2:00ish and come back to life around 5:00ish. One last dinner and then it was off to the airport to begin the long journey home-ish.

Tips of the day: 1) Get out and see some non-temple Cambodia. Talk to someone who can fill you in on how things are and how things were. 2) If the Tuk Tuk drivers have no idea where you're asking them to go (Angkor Handicraft Association, I'm looking at you...), point to the one with the smartphone and googlemap it for them. What was travel like before smartphones?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from 5 days in Siem Reap

Fantastic report! And bravo for your husband donating blood!

Wonder why they didn't want to take you to Preah Vihear, it is easily done as a daytrip so no worries with the hotel booking, perhaps there was some gunfire being exchanged at the border, that happens occasionally & would close off the mountain to visitors. Definitely try to go next time, it is a very cool place to visit!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
416 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from 5 days in Siem Reap

Fantastic report with lots of very useful tips for our upcoming trip.

Thanks so much.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from 5 days in Siem Reap

Great report. .love your tips :)

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from 5 days in Siem Reap

Great report and tips. What did you think of the Street Food Tour & would you recommend it?

Thanks Jan

Edited: 01 April 2014, 13:25
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,277 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from 5 days in Siem Reap

Thanks for sharing your tips.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from 5 days in Siem Reap

I did like the street food tour and would recommend it if that's your kind of thing. A little pricey, but I'd pay more money at home for the same kind of thing. I appreciated that it made the markets a little more approachable and easy to understand. You could do it on your own if you wanted, by pointing at what looks interesting and holding out some money. The only big tip would be to avoid the meat-ish products unless you witness them being cooked from fresh. The bread-based and dessert products were all pretty good and safe to explore on your own.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,819 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from 5 days in Siem Reap

Wonderful report and useful tips. I'll be getting the book for sure.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from 5 days in Siem Reap

What a great report, with loads of detail, thanks for sharing.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from 5 days in Siem Reap

Thank you guys for such good information. How far Beng Mealea from Siem Reap town? i am thinking of hire a tuk tuk for whole to get around, how much would that cost?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from 5 days in Siem Reap

60kms or so away, it's really too far to go by tuk-tuk unless you really have a lot of time. You'll probably have to pay $60 to get there & back by tuk-tuk.