We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ADVICE - 4 days in Siem Reap

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
ADVICE - 4 days in Siem Reap

Hello everyone. We are staying 4 days in Siem Reap in the middle of May and plan to get a 3 day pass. Below I have set out a rough outline of how we will spend our time.

I would greatly appreciate any advice and comments on my itinerary?

The way I have approached it is loosely based on the petit and grand circuits but I have started the day at the temples which I am keen to see before all the big tour bus groups arrive.

I was a bit torn between Ta Prohm and Preah Khan on Day 2 - am thinking Preah Khan in the afternoon as it is a large site so less likely to be overcrowded and has tree cover to provide some shade from the intense sun. What are peoples thoughts?

I am also a very keen photographer so would ideally like to avoid the crowds as much as possible and would like to get some good sunrise photos

-Are there any tips anyone would like to share or suggest?

Planned itinerary

Day 1

-Sunrise at Angkor Wat

-Straight after sunrise to Bayon Temple Angkor

-Visit other sights in Angkor Thom

-Thommanom

-Lunch

-Afternoon to explore Angkor Wat

Day 2

-Sunrise Ta Prohm

-Banteay Kdei

-Sras Srang

-Ta Som

-Preah Khan

Day 3

-Kompong Khleang 1/2 day tour with Beying Unique Experiences

-Afternoon - Beng Melea

Day 4

-Sunrise Banteay Srey

-Banteay Samre

-Pre Rup

Is this day a bit light - should I plan to see some of the temples in Day 2 in Day 4 instead?

Many thanks in advance :)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ADVICE - 4 days in Siem Reap

Instead of picking and choosing (except for your sunrise requests), I'd just have the driver take you to the usual small circuit on the first day and the large circuit the second day. That way, you wil lbe able to see all teh temples in the Angkor complex and not miss anythign cool.

I usualy visit Preah Khan in the early morning, do note that making a very early start you will not get a lot of crowds(unless of course you do that sunrise at Angkor Wat, that is a REAL zoo!). It will be pretty hot in the daytime regardless of where you will be, that shouldn't be an issue. (Bring plenty of water with you.) If you forego heading back into town for lunch then you could get some decent photo ops at noon (although the lighting will be very harsh) as the tour groups vacate at that time. On your 3rd day you could hire a car and have the driver take you to the outlying temples- I love Kbal Spean, and then there's Beng Mealea and also Banteay Srie. Expect huge crowds at the latter. Bring a good telephoto lens to capture sandstone relief detail on lintels.

Day 4 you have a lot of options-

You could head to Koh Ker and Preah Vihear for the day, these are two remarkable places that most tourists don't have the time to visit. The latter is a World Heritage site, both offer very unique photo opportunities.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,749 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ADVICE - 4 days in Siem Reap

Another vote for putting Preah Khan first on day 2 - it is so beautiful in the early light, and has a calmness about it that is missing in the other temples - particularly if you beat the bus hoards Stop en-route at North Gate - IMO it is way more beautiful (and far less crowded) than South Gate and you will get some stunning photos

We visited Koh Ker last week (it's only taken us 4 visits to finally get around to this) - it was fantastic and we had all the temples entirely to ourselves. Beng Melea is another of my favourites and again - try to go early because the bus tours are now including it on their itineraries. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g297390-c153413/Siem-…

cheers

helen

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ADVICE - 4 days in Siem Reap

Thanks Helen and Maneki for your advice. I will move Preah Khan to the start of day 2 and then make my way around to Ta Prohm towards the end of the day.

Koh Ker sounds and looks amazing (just googled it) and I will try to fit it into day 4!!

Many thanks again

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,749 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ADVICE - 4 days in Siem Reap

you can easily put Pre Rup into day 2 - it's not far from Preah Khan

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ADVICE - 4 days in Siem Reap

If you zoom back and forward, the Tuk-tuk driver will want to charge more to cover the extra fuel.

Preah Kahn is on the large circuit, whereas Ta Prom is on the smaller circuit.

6. Re: ADVICE - 4 days in Siem Reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:17