We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking to and around Angkor Wat

Global
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Biking to and around Angkor Wat

I'm traveling solo and was considering Grasshopper's early morning bike tour of Angkor Wat. The reviews are great, but the price is pretty steep. I'm just wondering if anyone think it is worth doing a self-guided bike trip. My thought would be to rent a bike the night before, leave pretty early to see the sunrise, then bike around the complex to check out the sights, have lunch at the park (pack it in advance), and come back at some point in the afternoon.

Anyone done it? Any thoughts on cons of doing it alone?

Thanks.

Khmer for Khmer Organisation
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Motorcycle Tours
Butterfly Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bike Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Beyond Unique Escapes
Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Bike Tours
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
117 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking to and around Angkor Wat

Apart from the heat/humidity, it's very easy to cycle your way around the main temples as the site is very flat & the free maps/guides available in town are sufficient to navigate your route.

It takes about 20min to reach Angkor Wat from downtown by bicycle.

There is a chance you may get caught in a downpour though (usually late afternoon this time of year).

Enjoy.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 01:24
Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking to and around Angkor Wat

It is nice to bike in Angkor park. it is easy to bike. you just rent bike from city and it cheap, the bike for rent is from $ 1 to $ 5 per day.

London, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking to and around Angkor Wat

I thought the heat would be a problem but it actually felt a lot cooler cycling than it did walking.

Global
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking to and around Angkor Wat

So, is there a specific way to bike from downtown to Angkor Wat (i.e., a trail) or should I just follow the road? Also, once in Angkor Wat, can you take the bike anywhere on the circuit? Where to park it when you visit a temple?

Thanks.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
117 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biking to and around Angkor Wat

Once you have bought your ticket there are a number of different routes you can take, I prefer to carry on up Sivatha which comes out at Angkor, is quieter than the main route up Charles De Gaulle & you can stop to view the Killing Fields memorial at Wat Thmei on the way.

You can visit all the Temples is the main area by bike.

Don't bother to hire a Mountain bike the terrain is flat (apart from Phnom Bakheng, which you just walk up to the top).

A basic bicycle is less likely to be stolen, use a lock & try to leave it where there are other bikes/tuk-tuks parked.

There are plenty of vendors at the big Temples where you can buy water.

I would cycle the "small circuit" first & see how you go, then maybe hire a tuk-tuk for the "big circuit" (about $15).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biking to and around Angkor Wat

All the shops that rent bicycles open at 4:00 am! So its not a problem to rent at bike at 430 and still make it in time for sunrise at Angkor Wat. Thats what I did. There are plenty of signs and even the bike rental place will hand you a map.

Dont stress and just rent a bike and go. It easy and the best way to navigate around the Angkor complex!

MOST IMPORTANT is to stop at the ticket counter half way between the city and Angkor wat. Tickets are not available at the temples and if you dont buy it from here, you will have to come back all the way.

Global
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biking to and around Angkor Wat

So, here I am in SR. And I biked. Boy! Did I bike! I started around Old Market and rode all the way on Charles De Gaulle to the ticket booth (you can't miss it). I do want to point out that there is a one way system until you reach Charles De Gaulle. I was riding my bike the wrong way for a while. ;)

In the early morning, it was a splendid ride. I left around 6 am. It probably took me 30-40 minutes. When I arrived, I decided to skip Angkor Wat and rode on to Bayon. That was a good idea. I had the place almost to myself initially before the crowds started arriving. From there on, I biked to some lesser known temples on the grand circuit before coming back down to Preah Khan. At that point, I was so exhausted that I rode all the way back via Sivatha. In all, about 30 km.

Tomorrow, I'm doing the rest of the temples, but getting to them on bike would be murder. So, I'll get a tuk-tuk. Start with the sunrise with the rest of the world, then on to Ta Prohm, and other temples.

8. Re: Biking to and around Angkor Wat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:16