We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cold in January?

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
73 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cold in January?

Have read that temperatures in Siem Reap in January can fall below 20 degrees celsius. Does that mean we need to pack warm clothes? Is it still humid? Will we still feel like swimming in the hotel pool? Just wondering have we been wrong in thinking we'll be holidaying in the sun?? Would love to hear what anyone has to say on the matter.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,621 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cold in January?

Hi,

If it is cool in January, and it's not every year that this happens these days then it's really only in the very early morning, 3-7am sort of thing. As soon as the sun is up - and January is a very sunny month - the temperature quickly climbs. You are only likely to need a wrap or light sweater if you are heading out to sunrise on a tuk tuk as that will feel a bit chilly, or if you are travelling on a vip bus as the air-con can be chilly.

January is not particularly humid but Cambodia is a tropical country. If the pool is in the shade then you might find the water a bit cold in January, but the outside temperature should be in the 28-32c range.

Cheers

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cold in January?

Our experience was as #1 describes. It was quite hot during the day but not to the point that we couldn't move. We did enjoy the hotel pool after a day out, and were glad of a spell in an air conditioned van. It was lovely.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cold in January?

Depends on the weather that year. When I was in Siem Reap in December last year, I had to wear my fleece jacket at the beer gardens at night as it got pretty chilly (I normally feel pretty hot all the time!). Bring a layer of something warm just in case.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cold in January?

Visiting in January is an excellent opportunity to buy a locally-made silk wrap to keep you warm in the mornings and evenings and while in the tuk-tuk. It was shorts and shirt-sleeve weather the rest of the day. I found fleece to be too warm even in the mornings, but I run hot.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cold in January?

Agree with Maneki, last December I found it quite cold but hadn't brought the appropriate clothing, assuming it would be hot.... I was cold during the day, not just at night. I am sure some light knitwear would have done the job!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,621 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cold in January?

Hi,

Yes December was really cold, unusually so, but things were getting back to normal by January.

Cheers

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cold in January?

I agree, I believe it was unusual but my point being that you cannot rely on historic weather patterns these days.... It snowed in Cairo last December, the first time in over 100 years?

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,621 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cold in January?

Hi,

Completely agree, as I said in my earlier post not every year is the same these days.

Cheers

9. Re: Cold in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:15