We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siem Reap to Phnom penh

sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Siem Reap to Phnom penh

what are my options travelling between siem reap and phnom penh in early october?

Boat,bus, taxi?

What is the best way and how much dose it cost and how long dose it take?

There will be two middle aged folk travelling together.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,906 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom penh

Hi there, We travelled from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus (Mekong Express) it was a good trip, cost US$9 and took about 5 hrs. The buses are comfortable, reasonably new, western toilet on baord, tv (playing Mr Bean!!) you also receive a snack box with 3 pastries and a bottle of water. Plus theres a stop half way for about 45 mins, so you can get out stretch the legs, buy a drink etc.

(We actually booked 2 seats each so we had loads of room to stretch out)

I have photos and lots of info on the bus trip on my Siem Reap pages below.

Cathy

members.virtualtourist.com/m/b3082/64a/

christchurch
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom penh

A taxi from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh cost $50, took 4 hours. Very comfortable. Only problem was the taxi driver did not know his way round Phnom Penh, had to try to direct him. Nearly made it to the hotel but we were tipped out onto a tuktuk at the end. just about fitted in.We heard lots of tales about dangerous overcrowing of boats

3. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom penh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2006, 16:22
UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom penh

Taxi should cost $25. No more.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,906 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom penh

Wow, $25 thats cheap, we were there in May and average price was $40 - $50 and I can see why, petrol was the same price we pay here in Australia, expensive.

Cathy

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom penh

from other posts on other boards, the going rate is still close to 50$ for a taxi between the 2 cities -if you hire it just for you.

you could make a long day of it, and stop off at some sites on the way, like sambor pre kuk, koh ker, beng melea

UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom penh

OK. Not been there for a year; but, taxi drivers do not, and will not, pay the "regular" price for fuel. No taxi driver in my experience will re-fuel at a Sokimex site. They all take on cans of fuel at the road-side stops -the places where you see rows of bottles (full of petrol) on show.

Also, taxi drivers, aka Camry's with a driver attached, will do anything to avoid paying "tax" to the local cops. I have had drivers who will skirt the town (SR) by driving thru building sites, across volley ball courts, new housing estates, hide behind the wall for 5 mins -anything but pay that "tax".

I like drivers like that. They charge me $25.

But I'm a Brit. Used to live in the Territory. I would expect crow-eaters to pay more. Tee Hee.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom penh

I am also thinking of getting a taxi from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap in October. Can you get a taxi to Siem Reap straight from the airport or do we have to go to the central market to get one? What are the road conditions like?

Thanks

9. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom penh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2006, 16:26
Sydney, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Siem Reap to Phnom penh

I am really torn between boat or road. I have heard good and bad for both. We are 4 ladies in our 50's and fit. We have travelled in asia before and know some of the difficulties. We would prefer the boat but what about water levels, luggage getting wet and overcrowding. Has this improved? Do we see much from the boat? We arrive early November this year. Any imput most welcome.