We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guest houses that give back...

Swadlincote, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
guest houses that give back...

Can anyone advise of locally run guesthouses or those that give back in some way to the local community?

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: guest houses that give back...

7 Ccandles Guesthouse on Wat Bo Road, a lovely place and run by Phonheary Li and her family who is also the founder of the Ponhearly Li Foundation, if you google that you will see all the good work her foundation does tor the education of the children of Siem Reap and the surrounding area. I have both stayed at the guesthoue and volunteered with the foundation and can highly recommend it

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: guest houses that give back...

There are many that do. I second the one mentioned above and can add Journeys Within Boutique Hotel and Shinta Mani both of whom are in my opinion leaders in this area. But as I say there are many that do so I hope others will add additional names they know of

Edited: 01 July 2014, 05:26
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: guest houses that give back...

all hire people and give them jobs, feeding their families with wages. Isnt that good enough. Also, be aware, not all who say they give back actually do it fully or on a regular basis.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
395 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: guest houses that give back...

i have lots of friends that own hotels or guesthouses in siem reap,i cant think of any that dont give back to the community,not just in training ,employment and allowances but also run or are involved in supporting a local project.Rosies guesthouse is a popular place for tourist and expats alike,they like many other hotels here run or organise fund raising events.most if not all my friends who run businesses here are not here to make money but for the lifestyle.they in the most part have invested much more not just in cash but in time and effect.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
140 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: guest houses that give back...

Soria Moria could be an option for you http://thesoriamoria.com/about-us/smedp/

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: guest houses that give back...

Seems there are a few >>I give back<< scams going on there, including with some orphanages etc.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
140 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: guest houses that give back...

That's really disappointing. When we stayed there 5 years ago I really thought they were doing the right thing. What a shame.

8. Re: guest houses that give back...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 10:17