We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angkor Wat walking shoes

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Angkor Wat walking shoes

Any recommendations for good walking shoes for Angkor Wat. It will be 30 degrees and the wet season. I want shoes that have a good inner sole support and still look good with a dress. Nothing chunky or heavy

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,365 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angkor Wat walking shoes

I'd go for comfort rather than styling, as it's a lot of walking...well, I guess as much as you wish to do.

I wore my Keen's (they were great) ~

wpecdn.com/media/…cant_read_-keenp_01.jpg

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angkor Wat walking shoes

Keen, Teva, Chaco...Anything with sturdy straps that are waterproof. Having a good tread helps, too...

Edited: 01 July 2014, 13:26
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,454 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angkor Wat walking shoes

sneakers are fine.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angkor Wat walking shoes

Keens and Teva's work well, particularly in the wet season as they dry out pretty quickly and are easily rinsed off if you get into some mud and muck. In April I only took Teva's - cooler seasons I also take a pair of Keens. Unlike sneakers they tend to allow your feet to do a bit of breathing.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Angkor Wat walking shoes

Comfort is your main concern and just wear your runners and get a pair of ankle socks but make sure they do in fact cover your heel as with all the moisture you are sure to blister if they don't.

I have visited three times and always wore runners, l do carry my birkinstocks with me for a change if l am getting to hot, but always be so over whelmed by the temples l forget about my feet!! And yes, birkinstocks should not get wet, but hey you have to break the rules sometimes!! A good foot massage afterwards will help!! there are the cheap ones at the night markets and Bodhi Spa is good too!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Angkor Wat walking shoes

these Keens look a lot like the runners available today, I'll have a look at them

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
793 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Angkor Wat walking shoes

Not sure that a dress is a wise option, lots of really steep steps at some of the temples, particularly Angkor Wat. You might end up giving the people behind you an unexpected view! And there are lots of uneven surfaces, plenty of steps and tree roots, so I'd recommend solid walking shoes that will support your foot and ankle. After badly twisting my foot while exploring in sneaker type shoes last trip (April 2013), next trip (October 2014), I'll be wearing my trusty hiking boots.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,755 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Angkor Wat walking shoes

I think I'll be bringing my trusty hiking boots (Merrell) as well. They are heavy, but have been to Machu Picchu, The Great Wall and Uluru. Why leave them home now when I have found nothing so comfortable or dependable!

Edited: 03 July 2014, 16:51
Sihanoukville...
Level Contributor
400 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Angkor Wat walking shoes

lol, last time I was there, I broke one of my thongs on the entrance bridge and did the entire day in bare feet. It had the advantage of keeping most of the beggars away, because as my girlfriend told me "you have no shoes, they think you are very poor"!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Angkor Wat walking shoes

Hiking boots would be MUCH too hot and heavy. EEK!