We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuk Tuk Driver For Full Day Tour..

Penang, Malaysia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tuk Tuk Driver For Full Day Tour..

I'll be in Siem Reap for holiday on this coming September and i am alone traveler actually.

i need suggestions for Tuk Tuk Driver for daily tour ...and how much the price for day tour.

is it safe to travel alone in siem reap?

i need some opinions and suggestions from u guys.. thank you

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,751 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuk Tuk Driver For Full Day Tour..

It's perfectly safe to travel solo - there are hundreds of solo visitors every week.

A tuk tuk for the day will cost you around $20 and your hotel can organise this for you. If you wish to also have a guide the going price is $30/day, again, your hotel can easily organise this for you.

check out canbypublications.com/siemreap/srstarted.htm for more info on the temples

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,122 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuk Tuk Driver For Full Day Tour..

Thmoore: I am thrilled to hear you writing about $20 as a daily rate!! Is this rate sticking and becoming common for the most standard days like small and grand circuit? I seem to have read on another thread that you guys r there now? Have a great time!!!

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,937 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuk Tuk Driver For Full Day Tour..

It all depends on where you want to go as to what the rate will be, it is not the amount of hours but the distance travelled, of course if you want to go somewhere like Kompong Khleang (by tuk tuk) it is going to cost you a lot more than say the small circuit which on average is $15. So quite hard to give you a daily rate. We have been using the same tuk tuk driver in Siem Reap for 8 years now, very safe driver, honest and knows all of the fantastic places where there are no tourists etc, message me if you would like his details.

Cathy

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,122 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuk Tuk Driver For Full Day Tour..

Thanks Cathy&Gary if you're post was in reply to mine. I have an Angkor related weblog that a lot of people contact me thru and I hook them up to driver mates of mine and give them an idea of prices for various itineraries. I have been using $15 for the small or grand circuit plus a few other places with a similar distance. For other places further away indeed more money. I was just hoping that maybe in the last year that the prices for even the small or grand circuit, etc had gone up to $20 as a basic starting day rate. You see, the analysis I did last year with my driver mates was that that average $15 a day was not quite enough to cover their daily needs when including all their operating & equipment costs and most essential living costs (for a family of 5 - 6). So I started to do loop de loops when I read $20 which in my mind would be a much more "fair-trade" minimum daily rate for those places that are now $15.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 20:06
5. Re: Tuk Tuk Driver For Full Day Tour..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 13:07
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,751 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuk Tuk Driver For Full Day Tour..

Hun,

you are not allowed to advertise your services on Trip Advisor so your posts will probably be removed

In regards to the price, low season just means there are less tourists and the drivers are so much more desperate for work they will discount to a price that does not even give them a fair wage for their days work (when their costs are taken into account).

I still maintain that $20/day (for something like the big circuit) is a fair and reasonable cost.

cheers

helen

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tuk Tuk Driver For Full Day Tour..

Hey helen, hope you’re having fun.

Its…fff...fff...fff…..its bloody cold here today.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,751 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tuk Tuk Driver For Full Day Tour..

Hi inaspin

it's s... s... s.... sweaty here today - lots of fun - but Siem Reap always is.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,937 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tuk Tuk Driver For Full Day Tour..

No Lenny, my reply was to the original poster :) I was really trying to say impossible to give him/her a daily rate as all depends on where they go etc etc :)

Cathy

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,793 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tuk Tuk Driver For Full Day Tour..

Of course I understand that everyone is trying to be helpful by providing an idea of how much a tuk tuk would cost for the day, be it the short circuit or the longer one. However, if I were a tuk tuk driver, I can't begin to imagine how I would manage the maintenance and upkeep of my tuk tuk, pay for fuel, perhaps buy a small lunch and still have enough left over to feed my family and pay the rent on $15 or thereabouts a day.

Naturally we don't want to overpay therefore creating a new standard of charges. This would be counterproductive as some tourists may stop using tuk tuks altogether which would seriously impact many drivers. To have a reasonable balance is difficult but perhaps visitors could refrain from beating down the prices to below sustainable levels and then consider giving a tip at the end of the day when they have enjoyed the service provided. After all, $15 is only three cups of coffee in our home countries.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 12:20