We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hired a tuk tuk for 3 days Siem Reap....what now?

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
47 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Hired a tuk tuk for 3 days Siem Reap....what now?

Hi there

Arriving Siem Reap on Sunday night and will be staying for 4 days. I've pre-booked a tuk tuk through a recommendation from a helpful TA member here. He has planned this itinerary for me:

Mon: 0730 onwards: Angkor Thom, Bayon, Baphuon, Terraces, Tah Phrom, Bantey Kdei

Tue: 0430 onwards: Angkor Wat sunrise, Grand Tour (Preah Kahn, NeakPean, Tah Som, East Mebon, Pre Rup

Wed: 0700 onwards: Bantey Srei, Roulus group

Thu: Free morning to shop, relax....afternoon flight to Phnom Penh

My questions:

- Am I covering all the main sights in this plan? I wish to keep a balance - not overdo visits and get templed out, but also not miss one of the important sights.

- I'm still recovering from a brief illness which leaves me a little weak. Is this itinerary hectic? The driver just says that it will cover full day, but cannot explain in terms of how many hours of the day....

- Since every day is an early start, what does one do for breakfast and lunch? My hotel does not include breakfast and I'd planned to have breakfast at local places (offering veggie options) but not sure if anything opens early. Does one come back town for lunch? Not sure how this works.

- The flight gets into Siem Reap at 9pm, and the hotel has arranged a pick-up. Will there still be places open for dinner in the neighbourhood?

I will be grateful for all suggestions and inputs. Many thanks!

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hired a tuk tuk for 3 days Siem Reap....what now?

Enness_7 I’m sure if you PM (private message) the same helpful TA member that suggested you should pre-book your Tuk-tuk they will also be able to offer you the answers to the questions you ask now.

Adelaide S.A.
Level Contributor
933 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hired a tuk tuk for 3 days Siem Reap....what now?

There's plenty of places to eat around the temples. Just tell your driver when you want to eat and he will take you to one. No you do not need to come back into town.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,083 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hired a tuk tuk for 3 days Siem Reap....what now?

Breakfast-

You can easily pick up bread at any local bakery and bananas/other fruit the night before and eat when you get hungry at the temples. Don't forget to bring plenty of water.

And yes, there are a lot of places open until the wee hours on Pub Street, and even stands serving food if you get a bit out of Pub Street.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hired a tuk tuk for 3 days Siem Reap....what now?

Breakfast is not a problem, tell your Tuk Tuk driver he'll sort you out.

If you are tiring or need a break/rest, your Tuk Tuk driver can bring you back to your accommodation to do so, just let him know, he may have to charge you a little bit extra? Just check with who helped set him up. It won't add much to your bill. It's up to you how long you spend at each and you can always stop and have a drink and rest out at the temples, you set the pace.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hired a tuk tuk for 3 days Siem Reap....what now?

Your itinerary is not missing any of the main temples. It can be quite exhausting in the heat & also with an early sunrise. Yr diver will take u back to ur hotel if u hv had enough. Have a rest & go get a $5 massage. Food & drink is easily available at sunrise, no need really to carry anything with you. Your tuk tuk driver will cater to yr every need, for very little extra. Enjoy! Great vegetarian restaurant in a lane behind pub st.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
47 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hired a tuk tuk for 3 days Siem Reap....what now?

Thank you so much, all of you, for the very helpful replies :-)

jacksonville
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hired a tuk tuk for 3 days Siem Reap....what now?

Backpacker looking for tut tut driver. Who did you get and do you recommend him?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,083 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hired a tuk tuk for 3 days Siem Reap....what now?

Just have your guesthouse get a guy for you. Easy peasy.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hired a tuk tuk for 3 days Siem Reap....what now?

Jaxhopper - one thing you will find about Cambodia is in general, you can trust your tuk tuk driver. As long as you have some basic knowledge about what you should pay for a trip or a day, just meet one on the street and go from there. Otherwise, your hotel will have a raft of drivers that they use or recommend, and surely the hotel would not risk their reputation by suggesting someone less than honest. If you are still in doubt and want further reassurance, check the recommended list here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g297390-c174988/Siem-…

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hired a tuk tuk for 3 days Siem Reap....what now?

Thank you. She is staying in a hostel. She had a bad experience in Laos, so that is why she was asking.

Thank you for the list.