We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bookguide which can be bought at the temples

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
413 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bookguide which can be bought at the temples

I visited the Angkor complex in 2008.

There were hundreds of children selling a guidebook which finally I bought, "Ancient Angkor".

I am going there again and for some reason I can't take my "Ancient Angkor" copy with me.

Do they still sell that book there?

Is there some guidebook (easily available in Angkor) which you would suggest more than "Ancient Angkor"?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,630 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bookguide which can be bought at the temples

All of the guide and other books sold at or near the temples by children and others are all unauthorised printings, ie pirated copies, and the authors receive nothing from the sale of their pirated copyright works, which is theft of their intellectual property, including the one you mention by Dawn Rooney.

Reluctantly, due to external pressures, Cambodia is beginning to clamp down upon the theft of intellectual property and pirated works such as music and books.

But yes, they are still available.

Best regards. Ian

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bookguide which can be bought at the temples

Actually that is a book written and photography supplied by Michael Freeman and Claude Jacques. As Ian noted, although you can buy a copy there it is an illegal, pirated copy which these wonderful authors do not receive a cent for.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,630 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bookguide which can be bought at the temples

Sorry, Lynn, I should have checked my bookcase first! I stand corrected.

But the point is valid. Dawn Rooney's book is the most popular genuine pocket guide book but be sure you have her latest edition as it exists in various edition in pirated/illegal editions on sale near the temples and elsewhere. Many of the books are very poorly printed indeed as you will quickly find out once you move away from the vendor and open up the sealed packaging.

All best regards. Ian

4. Re: Bookguide which can be bought at the temples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 07:16