We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phnom Kulen Road condition update

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Phnom Kulen Road condition update

I was up at Phnom Kulen yesterday. The road, while having some serious potholes and ruts, is still doable by both moto and car. It is quite time consuming with the latter, however.

Hired a moto to take me out to Sras Domrei, the roads were awful but negotiable as things have dried up the past couple of weeks. (Just a few creeks to cross!) the scenery is spectacular at the moment with all the greenery on the mountain.

Maneki in Siem Reap

Edited: 16 August 2014, 09:53
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phnom Kulen Road condition update

I was up at Phnom Kulen yesterday. The road, while having some serious potholes and ruts, is still doable by both moto and car. It is quite time consuming with the latter, however.

Hired a moto to take me out to Sras Domrei, the roads were awful but negotiable as things have dried up the past couple of weeks. (Just a few creeks to cross!) the scenery is spectacular at the moment with all the greenery on the mountain.

Maneki in Siem Reap

Edited: 16 August 2014, 09:56
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phnom Kulen Road condition update

Thanks Maneki- I am still tossing around where to head for a day trip out of Siem Reap. Koh Ker calls me as well as Phnom Kulen.

With the state of the roads at the moment what would be a good idea to combine? I have already visited Banteay Srey and Beng Melea. Things might change in a month I know.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phnom Kulen Road condition update

No time to do both. If you decide on Kulen, once at the top you can hire a guy with a moto to take you to see the giant stone animal carvings at Sras Domrei, it is very cool! (Do know that it is a butt-busting 7-km ride)

A day walking around the temples at Koh Ker would be a tamer choice, and just as interesting as a day at Kulen, IMO.

See what the road conditions are like before you head out. Dry at the moment, but the locals are praying for rain for their rice paddies...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phnom Kulen Road condition update

Thanks for that- my other thought is Kbal Spean. At least with lots of rain there will be lots of water in the waterfalls. Make a change from the last few dry months (apart from last weekend) here in Brisbane- brown, brown, brown.

5. Re: Phnom Kulen Road condition update

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Siem Reap