We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

php to usd, usd to khr or php to khr?

Taguig City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
php to usd, usd to khr or php to khr?

Should I buy USD in the Philippines or should I exchange Philippine Peso to KHR when I arrive in Siem Reap? Which is better?

I'm open to other suggestions ^^

I'm from the Philippines and will be leaving to Siem Reap next month.

Thanks~

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: php to usd, usd to khr or php to khr?

buy enough USD to cover visa (if you need one) and your day 1 expenses (taxi from the airport, meals etc) then just use ATMs - they are plentiful and dispense USD.

You cannot buy riel outside Cambodia not that you need to - you will get plenty in your change.

There are masses of post about currency - you can access these via the search box (directly above your post)

Taguig City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: php to usd, usd to khr or php to khr?

Thanks!

I was thinking of buying USD here and exchanging it to KHR when I arrive there... :D

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: php to usd, usd to khr or php to khr?

USD is the currency used in Cambodia except when you get small amounts of change that will then be in cambodian currency, as previously stated (1) using ATM's best way to go, and (2) type in currency or similar in the search box and there will be pages of previous postings

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
31 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: php to usd, usd to khr or php to khr?

".....then just use ATMs - they are plentiful and dispense USD."

Which denominations do you get from ATM:s when you withdraw USD?

Getting 1 x $20 instead of 20 x $1 (for instance) when you really only need small bills could be a bit annoying.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: php to usd, usd to khr or php to khr?

ATMs do not dispense small notes ($1 and $5) most will dispense $20 and $50. If you go to an ATM at a bank branch, you can take the cash from the ATM into the branch and swap it for smaller denominations. But to be honest, it's not that difficult to get change.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
31 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: php to usd, usd to khr or php to khr?

Cool, thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: php to usd, usd to khr or php to khr?

Anne - don't exchange for riel - you will get plenty in change - and almost everything you will want / need to buy is priced in USD

mntome ...ATMs dispense 20's 50's and some dispense 100s ... I do not know an ATM anywhere in the world that would dispense $1 notes ... you just take your larger notes to the bank and they will change into smaller ones free of charge.

Taguig City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: php to usd, usd to khr or php to khr?

Thanks all! :D

9. Re: php to usd, usd to khr or php to khr?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 05:15