We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

siem reap weather october - are there floods ??

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
island-explorer-82
Level Contributor
531 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
siem reap weather october - are there floods ??

we're planning to visit siem reap during the 3rd week of October (around october 20th). we've read different things about the weather during this time..so we're intimidated

drizzly weather is fine and that will not deter our travel plans. but can we expect floods during this time ??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: siem reap weather october - are there floods ??

it is impossible to predict whether there will be floods this year.

My husband is currently in SR and tells me the weather has been unseasonably hot and very humid but the daily downpours have failed to materialise for the past couple of weeks - who knows whether mother nature plans to deliver August's missed ran in October.

Take a folding brolly and have your plans flexible enough that you can pop into a shop/bar/restaurant to wait out any heavy rain. You will be visiting at a lovely time of year - all lush and green and the dust of April/May/June has all been washed away

island-explorer-82
Level Contributor
531 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: siem reap weather october - are there floods ??

yes, no one knows the weather..can only assume based on history ....but has october traditionally been a month of floods ???

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: siem reap weather october - are there floods ??

4 years ago when I was there in October it was as Helen described. It did not rain all day. some days an afternoon thunderstorm for an hour or so, most days it poured at some point overnight. Local flooding in the river but absolutely no problems.

The following year lots more rain and more local flooding but it did not stop access to ant tourist places. Lots of problems for the locals though.

Have a look at this website- I have found it gives a great overview. weatherspark.com/averages/…Siem-Reap-Cambodia

You can see that "historically" it is the tail end of the wet season.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: siem reap weather october - are there floods ??

And yet by the same token, it was only a few years ago that I was paddling around much of central Siem Reap at depths varying between near knee height to ankle depth. And Pub Street had water running through it! So, weather is weather and climate is climate and none of us can foretell it.

Best regards. Ian

Siem Reap, Angkor...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: siem reap weather october - are there floods ??

Hi, i think this year no flood any more, as we can saw the weather difference from last year and other year.

this year hot, no rain much.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: siem reap weather october - are there floods ??

Although slightly off topic, currently, parts of Cambodia have flooding whereas I have friends who are in fear of loosing all of their late planted rice crop, the rains came late in their areas, hence the late plantings, from drought conditions at a time when it should be wet and the ears of rice getting plump. This is a real disaster for those who depend upon and have to live off eating the rice they plant on their own land and harvest for their families.

Best regards. Ian

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: siem reap weather october - are there floods ??

With the weather you really just have to take what comes as far as to how "bad" or "good" a wet or dry season are.

island-explorer-82
Level Contributor
531 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: siem reap weather october - are there floods ??

thank you everyone..agreed weather cannot be predicted only "assumed"

what i meant is if october has historically been a month of torrential rain and floods ..then i would be better off postponing my trip..

but historically if its only been a couple of hours of rain i would love to take the plunge and go ahead with my plan to SR....and see how it unfolds..being ready to accept whatever the weather gods will offer

weather spark says of high rains during the beginning of October and diminishing towards the end of the month...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: siem reap weather october - are there floods ??

if you can put your trip off till into November you'll have better weather - just be aware that this also means more visitors so if you want a particular hotel/guest house you should probably book ahead

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
390 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: siem reap weather october - are there floods ??

the weather can change quickly also,its quite difficult to predict even a few days in advance.the last 2 weeks in siem reap has been mainly blue skies but that can happen in the wet season also.some parts have been having quite heavy floods but not around siem reap area,