We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Lauca from Bolivia

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to Lauca from Bolivia

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Lauca National Park from Bolivia.

I've quickly gone through some of the posts and seems there are buses running between La Paz and Arica?

Haven't got time to get deep into the area but would be appreciated if anyone can quickly give me some general ideas please:

1) What is the best way to visit Lauca from Bolivia, say, any tour departing from La Paz instead of departing from Arica?

2) If I have to go to Arica first, which way is better, from La Paz or from Uyuni?

2) must I spend 2 days on travelling between Bolivia and Arica?

e.g.: day1: La Paz(Uyuni) -> Arica, day2/3: 2 days tour in Lauca; day 4: Arica -> La Paz(Uyuni)

Thanks a lot!

Edited: 21 June 2011, 00:15
Mentioned in this post
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
La Paz
La Paz
La Paz Department, Bolivia
Arica
Arica
Arica and Parinacota Region, Chile
Uyuni
Uyuni
Potosi Department, Bolivia
London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Lauca from Bolivia

Ok, quickly went through wiki travel/LP today, here’s what I’ve found so far:

After the tour in salar de Uyuni I don’t need to get back to Uyuni, instead I can opt for San Pedro de Atacama as destination, there are buses running between San Pedro de Atacama and Arica. Also there are direct buses running between Arica and La Paz.

Please let me know if there are better options, thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Salar de Uyuni
Salar de Uyuni
3,308 Reviews
Uyuni, Bolivia
Uyuni
Uyuni
San Pedro de Atacama
San Pedro de Atacama
Antofagasta Region, Chile
Arica
Arica
La Paz
La Paz
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Lauca from Bolivia

There will be more buses running between Calama and Arica if you can't find space on one from San Pedro. Calama is only 1.5 hrs away from San Pedro. Depending on when you arrive in Arica, you may have to spend a night as most buses leave very early in the morning for La Paz.

You don't say when you are going. Regardless of time of year, Bolivia experiences a large number of road blocks due to strikes and protests. Bear that in mind when making your plans. You will always find good, on the ground information on the current state of things on the Lonely Planet Thorntree forum as they post as soon as there is a problem or an impending strike. It makes an itinerary a bit more uncertain, but Bolivia is an amazing country and well worth visiting. Just stay flexible.

Mentioned in this post
Arica
Arica
La Paz
La Paz
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Lauca from Bolivia

Lauca Park is 8-9 hours drive from La Paz. You pass through the adjoining Sajama Park to get to the border. They are actually one park. From the border a Chilean tour operator could pick you up for the Lauca tour. We used Mayuru Tours based in Putre very near the border. I would recommend you do this part before Uyuni or you may be a bit disappointed as we were. The scenery in southern Bolivia (Uyuni, etc,) is just unbelievable and these parks are a little bland in comparison.

Mentioned in this post
La Paz
La Paz
Uyuni
Uyuni
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Lauca from Bolivia

Thanks a lot!

on my 2nd thought I've decided to skip Chile and focus on Peru and Bolivia, as I only have 2.5 weeks PTO left this year.

Thanks all the same.:)

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
Peru
Peru
South America
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Lauca from Bolivia

@beentheredonethat53

thanks a lot.

just out of curiosity, which tour operator did you use for the the Southwest circuit in Bolivia, is it the 4D3N one or the 3D2N one?

From Uyuni or Tupiza?

thanks~

Mentioned in this post
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
Uyuni
Uyuni
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Lauca from Bolivia

We did an extended 7 days in that area with Tupiza Tours http://www.tupizatours.com/ Our trip with them was 27 days total. They are based in Tupiza but also have an office in La Paz. Our experience with them was very good.

Mentioned in this post
La Paz
La Paz
London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Lauca from Bolivia

Thanks! :)

8. Re: Getting to Lauca from Bolivia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Arica