my husband and I will be arriving in puerto natales on 17 Dec 2012, we are considering doing an organized trek for 9 days through Erratic Rock, but are also considering doing a few day trips out instead of the trek.
we are both quite active (have recently completed quilotoa crater, chimborotzo, colca canyon, inca trail, etc) and are looking for another challenge.
we don't have our camping equipment with us, so will need to rent equipment.
any info on the following (and any other suggestions) would be greatly appreciated:
1) any info on erratic rock - good? bad?
2) the 9 day tour is a bit long; with 2 more people a shorter / customized hike can be arranged – realise it’s a long shot but is anyone interested in doing a 5-6 day hike around 19 – 21 Dec 2012?
3) suggestions where we can rent good equipment in puerto natales
4) is there anywhere we can purchase used equipment (clothing) second-hand in puerto natales or puerto montt?
5) recommendations for decent equipment outfitters
6) is it possible to get a decent experience of the Torres Del Paine by doing numerous day trips? if so, recommendations welcome...
7) is it possible to hike it on your own staying at refugio's / estancias without a guide? realistically, how easy is this? what level of skill (i.e. navigation) is required? what are the refugio / estancia's like?
8) how hard is TDP compared to quilotoa crater, chimborotzo, colca canyon, inca trail, etc - realise it's weather dependent but any info would be great... speaking of weather, what's the worst to be expected?