We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Arenas-Parque Nandu

Georgetown, TX
Level Contributor
113 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Arenas-Parque Nandu

We'll be in PA on a Sunday in Dec. aboard a cruise ship for one day. We have already planned to see the Magellanic penquins in Puerto Madryn, so I can't imagine that the ones in PA are a lot different, are they? I read about a place outside of PA that is a sanctuary for the Rhea, a flightless bird, that sounded really interesting. However I haven't been able to find any tours to go there. It may even be closed.

This may be the place to walk around town, have lunch, go to the handicraft market (which I'm assuming will be open on a Sunday since there is a cruise ship in town?). Just wondered if the Destination Experts have any thoughts on this...

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Arenas-Parque Nandu

If you've already fulfilled your minimum lifetime penguin quota at Puerto Madryn in Argentina, you can probably skip the ones near Punta Arenas. Don't know a thing about the un-named rhea sanctuary, but maybe someone else can tell you if it's worth visiting. Otherwise, there's a new museum with a replica of Magellan's ship "Victoria" which opened since my last visit, so I don't know if it's worth a visit. I'll find out on my next trip (on a Saturday in Punta Arenas, this December). In the meantime, check out their website, here:

http://naovictoria.cl/en/

Also, the Salesian museum, cemetery across the street (one of the top 3 in S. America) and, time permitting, excursions down to Port Famine, the English Cemetery, Fuerte Bulnes, etc. Depending on the ship you're on, maybe someone can make some more suggestions, and/or arrange something for you.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Arenas-Parque Nandu

Check with them if the tour is still on. A couple of agencies have dropped it as an option but have not said why:

www.rutaschile.com/men1/Tour_Tarifas.php…

3. Re: Punta Arenas-Parque Nandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 06:19