We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there many people who speak English?

Which Xiamen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Xiamen
2 posts
Save Topic
Are there many people who speak English?

I'm thinking about travelling in Xiamen in the near future. But I can't speak Chinese. Are there many people who speak English in Xiamen? If not, what should we do when in case of emergency?

Victoria, Seychelles
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there many people who speak English?

I'm afraid not so many people can speak English here in Xiamen. But if you're lucky enough you might meet some university students who can help you. The people here in Xiamen (and in China for that matter) are very friendly and easy-going.

A good way is to find a guide who can speak good English. That's not easy but good luck with that.

Wish you a good trip in Xiamen.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there many people who speak English?

Go to any bar - the later the better.....

and theres plenty of them/

alternatively, find a western hotel with a club floor - almost totally english speaking there.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,090 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there many people who speak English?

Not many but sign language and written directions will take you where you want to go.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there many people who speak English?

OK - thought you were looking for relief ...from daily life.

folloew JPs instruction - its the best thing you can do.

Xiamen
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there many people who speak English?

thanks! To find a someone speaks both chinese and english and knows the city is a pretty good idea...LOL

Victoria, Seychelles
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there many people who speak English?

you are welcome.

by the way, I'm now a local student in Xiamen and fluent in both English and Chinese. If you need a tour guide or anything you can e-mail me at youngmiracler@yahoo.com and i'll be willing to help.

Enjoy your trip in Xiamen!!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there many people who speak English?

Xiamen is a small place and neat to walk even just by your self and a map. Don't worry to much.

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there many people who speak English?

Besides the bars, you can look in the "Western" Hotels. There are many.

Another trick, if you have a bilingual freind in China, Carry their cell phone number, and if you get stuck, call and have them translate. I spend a lot of time in Xiamen (don't speak a word of Chinese, to my sorrow) finger pointing, and hand gestures go a long way.

9. Re: Are there many people who speak English?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 05:16