We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bullet train from Xiamen to Hong Kong

Which Xiamen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Bullet train from Xiamen to Hong Kong

Excuse my ignorance, but is there a bullet train from Xiamen to Hong Kong and about how long does it take? I am trying to organise a business trip for my bosses and they want to take the train. Is there anywhere I can look at timetables or book it online?

Thanks.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,048 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bullet train from Xiamen to Hong Kong

No such thing. You would need to go to Guangzhou or Shenzhen then go to HK. Check train schedules here: www.cnvol.com

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,913 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bullet train from Xiamen to Hong Kong

For two cities that are relatively close on a map, there really isn't an easy and quick way to travel between the two except by flight. In the future, there should be but not yet. Standard trains are available Xiamen to Guangzhou, overnight service and about 15 hours. To Shenzhen requires a change of trains in the wee hours and at least 15+ hours total. Buses are faster but hardly the sort of thing you'd put a boss on. There is a ferry option Xiamen - Hong Kong. It leaves in the afternoon, but it's not daily and I don't have details on trip duration and cost.

However, I think that if you value your job, you would not select train as the mode of travel for your bosses on this trip. LOL

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bullet train from Xiamen to Hong Kong

It is said again that the high speed line will be open by end of 2013. For the moment most popular transport is bus to Shenzhen where you can easily transfer to HK. You may also check out if there will be direct bus to HK from Xiamen probably by some travel agent.

By train you can only go as far as Dongguan.

Hong Kong, China
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bullet train from Xiamen to Hong Kong

Hi there,

I would like to visit the Dawanshiju Hakka Fortified Village, which is in Pingshan. Can I take the Shenzhen MTR from Lohwu? Or is there a faster way to get there from Hong Kong? Really appreciate your help.

Xiamen, China
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Bullet train from Xiamen to Hong Kong

you can by air

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bullet train from Xiamen to Hong Kong

As others have mentioned already I don't think there's a bullet train - but if your bosses want to keep costs down they could do worse than Spring Airlines, they have direct flights to Hong Kong on their website from USD $1.40 +tax! o_0

springairlines.com/en/…

M T
Reydarfjordur...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bullet train from Xiamen to Hong Kong

chinatrainguide.com/shenzhen-railway-station…

It is about 150RMB per trip and takes 3-4 hours.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 14:34
Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bullet train from Xiamen to Hong Kong

new better - with bullet train service now to Shenzhen from Xiamen - check with travel agent or online. apparently really good.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bullet train from Xiamen to Hong Kong

The original post is over a year old.

There are still no international trains.

However, the service between Xiamen and Shenzhen is vastly improved now.

Hong Kong, China
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bullet train from Xiamen to Hong Kong

Now it seems you can take the high-speed rail from Shenzhen--Xiamen. And from Hongkong to Shenzhen it's easy as you know.