We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shenzhen Hotel Options

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shenzhen Hotel Options

We are looking at taking the high speed rail from Shenzhen North Station to Guilin late August or early September. Our plan is to make our way from Hong Kong to SZ on a Saturday, spent 1 to 2 nights sight seeing in SZ. Then hop on the High Speed Railn to Guilin on Monday, we can taxi from easily from our SZ hotel to the Train station instead of trying to cross the border from HKG on the day .

Not sure what is there to do or where to stay. We are not into the theme parks, just seeing SZ in general. The OCT Bay mall looks good, any other suggestions? Should we stay near the SZ North Station? Would prefer a 4 star type hotel, cleanilness and security is very important. I'm sure I can manage to use the metro to get around, but arrival and departure by taxi would be better with luggages.

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Hong Kong Intl Airport
Hong Kong Intl Airport
Hong Kong, China
OCT Bay
OCT Bay
161 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
5 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
48 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shenzhen Hotel Options

I think SZ has few special places to see...

How about Dameisha Ocean Park (a beach / 大梅沙海滨公园), Window of The World (a theme park / 世界之窗), or Huaqiang Bei (An area, wholesale market of electric gadgets/phones/computers / 华强北)

Mentioned in this post
Dameisha Beach
Dameisha Beach
366 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
Shenzhen Window of the World
Shenzhen Window of the...
2,197 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shenzhen Hotel Options

I live and work in Shenzhen, and it's a great city to live in, but moderately useless for international tourists. All the attractions are aimed at Chinese tourists and there is nothing too interesting.

The hotels are modern and the city is very safe, as long as you stay away from the redlight areas near the Hong Kong borders. No need to stay near the north station which is out of town. OCT is as good as anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shenzhen Hotel Options

Hi Mike, thanks for your message. Shenzhen is my first stop for my first trip into China. We have now booked the Hilton in Futian for two nights, will have a quick look around before heading to Guilin on the high speed rail.

My partner have been to Shenzhen many times before but the last time was in the late 90s, I can see it's total different now, ultra modern and very green. So it is now pretty safe other than the Luohu area? Will we be better off crossing at the Huanggang / Lok Ma Chau border from Hong Kong instead of Luohu? It looks much closer to the hotel in Futian as well.

Mentioned in this post
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Luohu Hotel
Luohu Hotel
105 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
Lok Ma Chau
Lok Ma Chau
45 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shenzhen Hotel Options

If you are going to be Luohu area, you may want to check out the Commerical Center (Luo Hu Station) or Dongmen (Lao Jie Station); they are both within 10 - 15 minutes from Futian. To be honest, you are going to go to hear a lot of horror stories from people in Hong Kong about the security there, but I have found that there is much risk beyond typical pick pockets (do watch your wallet though) for tourists. Good food, great to opportunity to see how Shenzhen's changed, and a little shopping opportunity too :)

Since you are heading to Shenzhen, also take a minute to check out my new blog where I covered must-do and must-sees along with other overnight trip ideas from Hong Kong! hongkongtoptens.wordpress.com

Mentioned in this post
Luohu Hotel
Luohu Hotel
105 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shenzhen Hotel Options

In the 90s there were still the barber shops next to Luohu crossing, where you could get anything you wanted except a haircut. Now there's only Luohu Commercial Center which sells rip-offs very aggressively.

If you are coming from HK city then take the metro to Lok Ma Chau and if direct from the airport take skylimo to Huanggang. Then take a taxi from the real taxi ranks.

Mentioned in this post
Luohu Hotel
Luohu Hotel
105 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
Reply to: Shenzhen Hotel Options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted