We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from HK Airport to Shekou - my trip experience

Which Shenzhen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, WA
Level Contributor
64 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from HK Airport to Shekou - my trip experience

Many people have queried this method of getting to Shenzhen but few have reported their personal experience so I hope this may help some :).

Having said that, it was on Wed 6th, New Years Eve so it was not an average trip crowd wise. Anyhow, the ferry counter is easy to get to; just follow the signs. They tell you to allow 1 hour before the ferry you wish to catch. I landed at 1715 and they booked me onto the 1630 3A110 ferry to Shekou. Cost HK$210. They take your checked baggage receipt and print out another of their own which they give you as a new reciept. They will locate your baggage from the carousel and pass it through customs and put it on board the ferry. Because you never actually 'enter' HK, you are still in the International part of the airport and are still basically in transit. They give you a small direction map that leads you to a waiting area downstairs to wait for a bus to take you to the Skypier. I didnt hear any PA announcement but kept my eyes on the various gates to see when they were boarding buses to Skypier. At 1800 they allowed boarding (gate 10 this time). The bus takes you around the outside of the Expo building. Skypier was very basic, sad to think it handles international passengers too.

It is only a 30 min crossing. When you disembark, stay with the ferry until they unload the baggage then staff ID your baggage check with your case. Then follow the signs to immigration. The ferry can handle hundreds but there were only 12 of us (yes only 12 !!!)so it was easy and very quick. I was so happy and pleased at how simple it all was but if there were hundreds then it would take longer. It was worth the extra cost for a huge tiome saving for me because I was staying in the Nanshan District just a few minutes from Shekou. OK for the airport too. If you needed to get to Louhu then the story may be different.

Hope this helps and please contact me for any other details :)

Mike

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from HK Airport to Shekou - my trip experience

Thanks PerthAussie, great details there. Did you mean to say you were on the 1830 3A110 ferry, not the 1630?

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
64 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from HK Airport to Shekou - my trip experience

lol, ooops, good point, yes the 1830 ferry (I was thinking in my mind 6pm)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,780 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from HK Airport to Shekou - my trip experience

hi perth...

thanks for that great info- I was very kean to take the ferry, but from what I gather, it will then take another 40 odd minutes to get to the Landmark Hotel-

so, probably easier to just take the Landmark Shuttle for us, but, I'm still debating..

Out of curiosity, how much is the ferry ticket?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,780 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from HK Airport to Shekou - my trip experience

ooops for me too- just saw you wrote the price- will have to take more time to read properly in future

thanks again- very informative.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
21 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from HK Airport to Shekou - my trip experience

Depending on when you arrive, the ferry is typically quicker than going through the land crossing, even if you are going to downtown (Landmark, etc.) It takes 20-30 minutes to get from Shekou to Lo Wu train station (Shangri-la) on most days. If you hit rush hour add 30 minutes. I find going by land to be incredibly painful and would recommend the ferry over the land crossing. I've done both on several occassions as I've lived here for 5 years and have always found the ferry to be effortless.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,780 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from HK Airport to Shekou - my trip experience

i must say it's incredibly confusing-

my first preference was to take the ferry, but after hearing there was a hotel shuttle, that sounded so much easier.

We will arrive at 7.10pm at HKIA - i'm not sure what the traffic will be like at that hour?

ChinaJim...

Can you tell me how long it would take from the ferry port (shekou I guess?) to Landmark?

I did post the question but received no replies.

so, do you say it will still be easier and quicker to take the ferry rather than the Landmark shuttle?

thanks

maz

Shenzhen
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from HK Airport to Shekou - my trip experience

Hello,

The ferry sounds great! But how does it work going to the airport? Do they check you in at the ferry terminal?

Thanks for the info!

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
64 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from HK Airport to Shekou - my trip experience

Actually I have no idea. I would be interested in this too; Shekou to HK airport for international flight via the ferry. Anyone?

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry from HK Airport to Shekou - my trip experience

Hi Sorry Im confused. I am visiting HK in Jukly and was thinking of going direct to Shenzen from HK airport. I have the following questions.

1]How far is the ferry from the shopping area of Shenzen?

2] How easy or safe is it to get a taxi from the ferry to a downtown hotel?

3] The Landmark shuttle refered to in one of the comments.. can i have more details? Is it from HK airporet to the Landmark hotel in Shenzen? How would I book it?

4] Would people recommenmd I stay in Hk and visit shenzen on a day trip or just stay in Shenzen? My flight out of HK is at 8am and Im worreied I cannot get to HK airport in time.

Any help really appreciated.

EC

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,780 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry from HK Airport to Shekou - my trip experience

firstly, there is a shuttle directly from HKIA to the Landmark Hotel- you go to the counter at Hong Kong international - it is kiosk AO9 in the arrival Hall.

From what I now understand, depending on your arrival time, it is quicker and easier to take the direct ferry from the airport to Shenzhen, even taking into consideration the time you will spend taking a taxi in Shenzhen to your hotel or to the shopping centre.

However, for me, because my arrival time doesn't co-incide with a departure ferry-time, it's looking easier for me to take the shuttle bus. (you must pick up your ferry tickets at least 1 hour prior to catching the ferry and this means i would have to take the 'next' ferry meaning a wait of 90 minutes or more, whereas I can catch a shuttle almost immedately)

I do hope this helps