We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Shenzhen family of 5

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Shenzhen family of 5

First day of our trip is in the Macau forum

tripadvisor.com/…14310832

Our family of 5 arrived at the Shekou port via Turbojet from Macau. We stayed at the Golden Lustre hotel, good hotel with free internet and connecting rooms (and very hard beds, but that’s par for the course). We’d arranged with the hotel to have a driver meet us at the port for the 1hr drive in. We had 3 days in Shenzhen all up, which we really enjoyed.

Highlights;

Window on the World – huge day, caught the subway from Guomao (a 10min walk from our hotel) to the final stop (Window of the World, a 40min ride). Fantastic park, yes it can be tacky at times, but being able to give the kids an idea of all those world monuments – Niagara Falls complete with massive water spray, an Eiffel tower so big you can catch a lift up it, the Pyramids, Angkor Wat, you name it it was there – was great. The first surprise was that this massive park is cash only, no credit cards accepted anywhere, no ATMs around and no money changers. We had enough RMB to get in, but were then left with only 350RMB to last the 5 of us on a very warm/humid day. We also felt like celebrities all day, there were thousands of Chinese in the park, and not till the end of the day did we see another Western family. At one point we had families lining up to get photos with our kids when we were waiting for lunch (I did consider charging them/photo – would have helped with our lack of funds problem!) There’s meant to be a spectacular show at the end of the day here, but we were so exhausted (& in need of cash), that we only lasted about 4 hours before heading back to our hotel.

Dongmen shopping area – This was a place we almost didn’t go to, as the guide books say it’s a bad area for shoplifting, and a couple of the locals said the same thing to me – and particularly warned me that it was unsafe for kids. It was only a 10min walk from our hotel though, so we decided to brave it one evening, thought we’d just have a quick look then eat dinner. Turned out to be MUCH better and more interesting shopping than Luohu. DVD’s were cheaper (10RMB vs 15RMB at Luohu) and better quality, and just much more variety in the stores, not just shop after shop of the same copy handbags and watches. It was a really fun area to look around, hubby and kids also enjoyed much more than Luohu. We didn’t have much time, but managed to get heaps of things on our list, wish I could go back. We were very underwhelmed by Luohu, particularly as my son bought an R4 from a shop there, was told it was an 8gb one, only to get it home and see it had been formatted to say 8gb, but was only actually 112mg……he was so disappointed. I know we were buying a copy, but still a shock when people out and out lie to a 13 year old spending his pocket money on his one big purchase for the trip. The touts at Luohu are very persistant (which we’d been warned about), but there was none of that at Dongmen.

Will continue with our final 5 days in Hong Kong in that forum.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
719 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Shenzhen family of 5

Hi TMBHL,

sorry to know that Ur boy got cheated. It's good that U posted it, so others 'ld aware of it. I heard many-many tourists have been the victims of this kind of tout for years.

Pls be careful if U r buying all kind of Flash Cards/ Memory; M2, Micro SD, MMC, SD, USB Drive in LoWu and all places in China. They r not what the stickers or the reading said to be on the inside, cos mostly r software formatted to cheat customers.

U need to go to big chained retailer store to get original goods

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
788 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Shenzhen family of 5

Helpful report. Thanks for that note about no credit card in the park. So we will have to bring more cash with us. So how much you need on the average per peron inside the park ?

Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Shenzhen family of 5

Yes very helpful tips, especially the all cash to go into Window of the World. So how much do you think should be enough? and what's the entrance fee? I'm also going on a family of 5 this Dec.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
788 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Shenzhen family of 5

Any body knows the web address of Window of the world and splendid China ?

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Shenzhen family of 5

Window of the World adult entry is 120RMB and 60RMB for a child. Food is reasonable within the park, there are other things to pay for such as monorail around (which is a great way to get a birds eye view of the attractions). I can't remember the cost of this, but we managed to squeeze it in on our limited cash. If you were staying all day I guess you'd need 150rmb/person for other rides/food/souvenirs.

Websites below, but translation to English is not great

http://www.szwwco.com/index.jsp

http://www.cn5000.com.cn/

6. Re: Trip Report - Shenzhen family of 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 05:45