We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping in Beijing or Shenzhen????

Wollongong
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
shopping in Beijing or Shenzhen????

Hi I was hoping I could pick all of the shopping experts brains. My 10 year old daughter and myself will be flying from Beijing to Hong Kong. I am a bit of a shopaholic and I especially love bags,shoes and costume jewellery. I was thinking of stopping inbetween Beijing and Hong Kong in Shenzhen both for the cheaper flights and for some shopping. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if Shenzhen is any better (ie price and quality) then Beijing. Is it worth stopping there overnight or should I just do my shopping in Beijing and go straight to Hong Kong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping in Beijing or Shenzhen????

lo wu (luo hu) is pretty good and easy for a westerner. though there has been a crackdown in the recent past. ask and you shall receive.

hk prices are a little above shenzhen, but the quality is pretty good - depending on your ability to get to the good stuff. beijing, personal opinion, is a bit so-so and more likely to sell you rubbish at inflated prices.

hong kong
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping in Beijing or Shenzhen????

i would def. recommend you to swing by shenzhen if youre going to Hong Kong. You should spent two days there, shopping, massage and get your nails done. This is what i do all the time, go to Shenzhen and then shop all day at the Lo Wu commercial center, this place is known for shopping for the fake-cheap known brands like LV, Gucci...and then when im tired i will look for places for massages, you can sleep overnight there too, its very clean and comfy. Shenzhen is known for good and cheap massages. And then the next morning, you can go to other places to shop such as donggmen and china south city. you can get to donggmen by taking the subway, this is the place where the locals go shopping all the time, and there you can shop for fashion clothes. You get to China South City by taking the free shuttle bus at Lo Wu next to the commerical center, there will be some shopping malls where you can find more cheap fashsionable clothes, bags, purses, shoes, etc...Theres also lots of good restaurants around Donggmen and China South City.

hope you have a fun trip in HONG KONG, ask me if you have any questions! :)

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Wollongong
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping in Beijing or Shenzhen????

Thats what I was thinking hkhero. Should I completely avoid the shopping in Beijing and wait for shenzhen (just thinking of luggage space lol). Are there things that I am better looking for in Beijing?

Mentioned in this post
hong kong
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping in Beijing or Shenzhen????

well, i have been to Beijing too, but i didnt shop a lot cause you can basically get everything in Hk and Shenzhen lol. I only did all the tourist stuff in Beijing like visiting the Great wall, summer palace, forbidden city, I would recommend you to go to Beijing for visit, and fly to Hong Kong and take the train to Shenzhen for shopping.

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping in Beijing or Shenzhen????

the same stuff as beijing, but lots of western sizes - plus some really good stuff - for example - check the shoe stores - those shoes at about $40 AUD - do a net search on the brand and price. you will be astounded - guaranteed!!

6. Re: shopping in Beijing or Shenzhen????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2010, 10:37
7. Re: shopping in Beijing or Shenzhen????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2011, 06:19