We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing money at crossing? Metro ticket?

Which Shenzhen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
142 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Changing money at crossing? Metro ticket?

So, we're flying into Hong Kong, spending a day in HK, then planning on using the metro to cross into Shenzhen, and flying on the next day from there.

It looks like the planned integration of the Octopus card with the Shenzhen metro has not yet happened, right? So we'll need cash to pay our metro fares once we cross. Is there an ATM at the station where we can get RMB? Or should we be buying some in Hong Kong (or the US before we leave)? Where would we get the best rate?

Thanks.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,787 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing money at crossing? Metro ticket?

You can take a direct bus from Kowloon to Shenzhen airport, thus saving you having to make transfers. I'd change some money in HK from USD to RMB. Don't do it in the US. There are some bank ATM's in HK where you can get RMB, which would be the best deal.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,762 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing money at crossing? Metro ticket?

Yes there are ATMs below the market and I think just after you cross the border.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing money at crossing? Metro ticket?

There is an ATM in a HSBC branch at the back of the Shangri La hotel, which is a short walk from the train station. No doubt there are others nearby but that's the one I use.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,910 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing money at crossing? Metro ticket?

Plenty of ATMs in the SZ arrival area, or use ATMs in HK. You will then need to change 100rmb for coins or small notes at the Customer Service centre as the Ticket machines only accept 1 yuan coins and 5 & 10 yuan notes.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Yunnan
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing money at crossing? Metro ticket?

atms are in the station area. use them . the money changers outside - in the little shops - rate is unbelievably bad.

if in hk i find the bank of china gives solid rates. and you will find some atms will give rmb.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing money at crossing? Metro ticket?

Thanks, everyone. Very helpful.

(Staying overnight in Shenzhen as we have a fairly early flight the next day, and I didn't want to have to be stressed at how long the border crossing might take.)

7. Re: Changing money at crossing? Metro ticket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 16:19