We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shenzhen to Shanghai and Beijing

Which Shenzhen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shenzhen to Shanghai and Beijing

Will be using Air Asia to fly from Bangkok to Shenzhen. The reason is that Air Asia is half the price of other airlines from Bangkok to China. Can one utilize the high speed trains to get to either Shanghai or Beijing from Shenzhen? Or for that matter any trains? How many days should I spend in Shenzhen? I am greatly surprised at the low rates for some 5 and 4 star hotels in all of the Chinese cities. Agoda gives many 5 star hotels at below $50 per day. I would have thought that the rates would have been 3 and 4 times that amount.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,273 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shenzhen to Shanghai and Beijing

There is no fast train to Beijing or Shanghai from Shenzhen. Check the train schedule here: chinatravelguide.com/ctgwiki/…

You can also fly cheaply. Check ctrip.com and well as the website of Spring Air, the only discount airline in China (they are not part of the ctrip database).

Be careful about 4 or 5-star hotels from these websites. These are not necessarily true 5-star hotels but rather self-granted ratings. Check the reviews here on TA before booking. But in general, hotels are not very expensive in China but I have never seen a real 5-star at $50.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shenzhen to Shanghai and Beijing

Agoda.com has a few 5 star hotels under $50/day, in both Shanghai and Beijing. Agoda apparently has quite a few discount rooms available all of the time. The standard rack rate for the same room is much higher, of course. Also, Airbnb.com has many apartments available from $25 to $55/day. some of the apartments are 1 and 2 bedroom condominiums.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,273 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shenzhen to Shanghai and Beijing

I just took a look at the rooms in Beijing for mid-june, did not see any 5-stars in the center for less than $100. Many of these hotels ae not five stars also. In one case, the Crowne Plaza (probably a four star rather than five) is quoted at $114, same price as the hotel website.

Note that the prices quoted are qualified as "starting at". In any case, it is a good place to shop and get an overview of the market. And if you find a "five star" at $50, check the reviews on TA first.

4. Re: Shenzhen to Shanghai and Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:42