We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Hong Kong Airport To Shenzhen.....and back

Which Shenzhen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Hong Kong Airport To Shenzhen.....and back

Hi All,

I've seen similar questions asked here - apologies if I'm doubling up:

I'm flying into Hong Kong late on a Sunday night, and am planning on getting up early on the Monday morning and catching a train from an airport hotel up to Shenzhen. I'm just wondering how long that train journey takes, roughly? And once I get to the border, is it a long wait to get into China? I already have my Visa, and I'll have my buying agent waiting to meet me at Lo Wu. Just trying to work out times.

After staying overnight in Shenzhen, I'll then do some more work there on Tuesday before heading back to HK airport to fly to catch a flight at 9pm Tuesday night. What time should I leave Shenzhen on Tuesday afternoon to arrive at the airport around 7pm?

Thanks for any help, or suggestions, you can provide!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,950 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Hong Kong Airport To Shenzhen.....and back

Going strictly by train from the airport to Shenzhen is very inefficient. It is a big round-about.

You can take those direct buses from airport straight to Huanggang (the border check into Shenzhen). You can also take airport bus A43 from HKIA to Sheung Shui MTR Station. Alight. Then take the MTR (train) for 1 stop from Sheung Shui to Lo Wu, where it borders Luohu on the Shenzhen side.

Edited: 12 November 2013, 08:23
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Hong Kong Airport To Shenzhen.....and back

Thanks for the reply Happy Feet.

My main reason for wanting to take the train is that there is no traffic. Wouldn't the bus journey take longer due to traffic?

Thanks

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,076 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Hong Kong Airport To Shenzhen.....and back

There is no train directly from the airport to Shenzhen. You'll have to make a couple of transfers before you get to Shenzhen.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Hong Kong Airport To Shenzhen.....and back

Yes, I noticed that on the journey planner. I'll only have a small bag with me, so swapping trains is no bother.

My only reason for choosing train over road is to avoid traffic. I'm guessing train would avoid any delays that could occur on the road?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,950 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Hong Kong Airport To Shenzhen.....and back

MTR Journey Planner quoted from Airport to Sheung Shui Station takes about 76 minutes.

Transfer at Tsing Yi

Transfer at Prince Edward

Transfer at Kowloon Tong (walk about 300 meters)

Airport bus A43 takes about 40 minutes to cover the same journey to Sheung Shui Railway Station. It is the second bus stop on the way (the first bus stop at Lantau Link Toll Plaza is usually skipped anyway (nobody gets on)). Mostly expressways.

Get there faster, at lower cost, without the hassle of transfer: by bus.

Or get there later, at higher cost, with 3 transfers, 300 meters walk, and probably standing most of the way after Tsing Yi: by train.

The choice is yours.

KMB's website to check on the A43 route:

http://www.kmb.hk/en/services/search.html#

Edited: 13 November 2013, 05:51
Oklahoma City...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Hong Kong Airport To Shenzhen.....and back

is Baggage allowed on A43 bus ?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,950 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Hong Kong Airport To Shenzhen.....and back

>> is Baggage allowed on A43 bus ? <<

A43 is one of the airport bus routes. Baggage is not a problem. They have special luggage racks onboard.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Hong Kong Airport To Shenzhen.....and back

Thanks for your help all!

I've ended up booking a hotel near Mong Kok which I'll get to late Sunday night. Monday morning I'll get a cab to Kowloon Tong MRT station and then straight to Shenzhen:)

Shenzhen, China
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Hong Kong Airport To Shenzhen.....and back

Why not go directly to Shenzhen from the airport? If you're going to a hotel in downtown HK, it'll take just as long as it takes to get to Shenzhen. And you save yourself all the hassle in the morning.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Hong Kong Airport To Shenzhen.....and back

David - I considered that, but due to the fact I have an appointment in Shenzhen at a set time, I'd have to get up an hour earlier on Monday if leaving from the airport. I'd rather go to bed a bit later Sunday night and sleep in a bit in Monday. And this way, the Monday morning process is much more straightforward to.