We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time In Shenzhen

Which Shenzhen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
616 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
First Time In Shenzhen

Hi, my partner and myself will be travelling to Hong Kong/Macau/Shenzhen/Hong Kong in end December (22nd Dec to 31 Dec).

1) Can I get to Shenzhen from Macau? Is it easy to commute or you would suggest we go back to Hong Kong for a night and then take the train to Shenzhen Luohu the next day? Our destination in SZ is Lao Jie.

2) I have heard about the huge/fantastic spa in Shenzhen. Any good one to recommend? We will be staying in Lao Jie area (Sunon Hotel)

3) How much do we have to tip the masseur in the spa? My friends went to one in Luohu mall basement and felt pressurized to keep adding on more packages and they even told her the 'standard' tip she must pay. Any advice on this?

4) Any nice restaurants to recommend in Lao Jie area?

We are both very excited over our trip to SZ. Heard so much about the place and can't wait to see it for ourselves (though many people told us it's dangerous too but everywhere is the same!).

Thank you!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,094 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time In Shenzhen

1. Both options are ok but I would just cross over the border into Zhuhai and take the bus to Shenzhen.

2. Queen Spa is the one.

3. There is no tipping in China

4. Sorry, I can't remember. I just remember that the biggest Japanese restaurant in the wordl is in the area but I forget the name.

Shenzhen is quite safe. Just not as safe as the rest of China that is super safe.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time In Shenzhen

I'll have to disagree with JP on point #3. There is no tipping in China, except where there is tipping. I have Hong Kong friends who go to Shenzhen to get massage all the time and they tip, sometimes heavily. These are not Americans, so don't blame Americans for ruining another country's customs. Of course they go back to the same place repeatedly so their tipping gets them excellent service.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time In Shenzhen

3. you won't be able to leave the premises without tipping. Well maybe if you have extreme thick skin, you can. Tipping begins inside the change room, with 20/50 bills on the tray and the attendant at your side at all time. After getting changed, you wait in the big room for your masseur/masseuse, where the roaming staff come up to say you have poorly maintained body parts and require all sorts of service. Then the masseur/masseuse shows up, up-selling everything. When you are done, s/he suggests how much you need to tip. Of course you can ignore all those things, and/or pretend to not understand Chinese.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 19:16
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,115 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time In Shenzhen

You can either take a ferry from Macau to Shekou then taxi or Metro to Laojie (about 2:30hr); or you can do as suggstsed above: - cross the land border into Zhuhai and take a bus - also about 2:30hr but no changing.

Singapore
Level Contributor
616 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time In Shenzhen

Hi any idea if the taxis from shekou to laojie will be metered or I have to bargain before I get into the car?

Are there bundles of them after I exit the ferry terminal?

I am prepared to tip but just want to know the normal going rate rather than be told how much I have to give...that will totally ruin the wonderful spa experience...

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time In Shenzhen

>> Hi any idea if the taxis from shekou to laojie will be metered or I have to bargain before I get into the car? <<

chriskoh7770:

Official taxis in Shenzhen should be metered. No bargaining. Go by the meter. I suppose there are probably touts at the ferry port soliciting foreign visitors for "taxi" rides. I would not follow them or bargain with them. Even if you try to bargain, you are likely ending up paying more than taking a real taxi. Those are also likely unlicensed transportation operators.

My guess-timate on the fare from Shekou Port to Laojie is around RMB 100 or so.

I don't know if there will be bundles of taxis waiting for you. You should be able to find the official taxi rank.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,115 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time In Shenzhen

When you get into a taxi whether at the airpirt or the ferry terminal (Shekou), follow the signs to the official taxi rank. Never follow a person saying " taxi?" I have never had a problem after many years of getting regular taxis from the hotel, ferry pier & bus station.

Singapore
Level Contributor
616 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time In Shenzhen

Thank you all your contributions. We have decided to travel to Shenzhen from Hong Kong and will head to Macau only on the last 2 days of our trip before returning to Singapore. Have booked a hotel (Sunon) in Laojie and am now looking forward to the trip!

My only worry is we really want to try Queen Spa but we are also worried that we will be 'pressured' into the hard core tipping requests as I have read that they are getting very aggressive in pushing for maximum tips. I prefer to tip accordingly to satisfaction of service level instead of being told how much to give. I shall come back with a review after trying it...

9. Re: First Time In Shenzhen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 05:16