We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Safe?

This might be a silly question but I was wondering how safe it is for a young girl to go shopping in Shenzhen alone? I wanted to go shopping and look around from Hong Kong. I only speak English also, would this be a problem getting around.

Thank you in advance for your help! :)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,330 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe?

You have nothing to worry about. The subway has english so prepare yourself by knowing ahead of time where you are planning to go. If you plan to take taxis, have your destination in writing in Chinese.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,996 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe?

Personal safety is not really an issue; but DO use your common sense to ward off opportunistic pickpockets.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,536 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe?

Agree, similar to HK. Like you would take extra care of your belongings in crowded area like Mong Kok in HK or other cities in the world, you need to do the same in SZ.

I assume you will only visit the popular shopping spots.

USA
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe?

It's very safe, and the metro system and many buses (particularly in Luo Hu/Futian districts) have bilingual signs.

5. Re: Safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:21