We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Shenzhen...

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Shenzhen...

I'll be spending a week in Shenzhen visiting my son and his girlfriend. They will be working Monday - Friday, but I will probably have lunch with them, as they have a long lunch break. Just looking for ideas of things to do on my own in the afternoon. Spa? Shopping? Sightseeing? Is there any sort of group tour in English that I could join? I'm usually happy with just walking and exploring. Staying in Futian district. Looking on the map, it looks like it is near the Science Museum. (I don't know if that is a good landmark).

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,606 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Shenzhen...

I would find a whole week in SZ a bit trying - you could take the Metro to Dafen painters' village - it is where hundreds of artists copy old masters and paint your family portrait from a photos etc. Quite fun to wander around. You could easily take a day trip to Guangzhou by train or bus. If you have a multi-entry visa you could make a day trip to HKG too.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,430 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Shenzhen...

As zhuhai says, a week in Shenzhen is a long time. Maybe you can do some shopping and home cooking for your son. Get a foot massage (ask him for a good place for this).

Mentioned in this post
Zhuhai
Zhuhai
Guangdong, China
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,766 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Shenzhen...

A would find a week in Shenzhen exciting....

What to do depends on your interest. Honestly, the museums are not the best in Shenzhen.

Futian is big. It depends where you stay. On the other hand, all attractions should be accessible easily by taxi and MTR (metro).

As Zhuhai said, daytrips are possible. Hong Kong would be the option to go for, but you need to clarify your visa situation. If you want to be in SZ for lunch, HK is not an option. You would need a day.

I assume your son knows you well and can give better recommendations.

Anyway here you go (use the search function to find out more details about the places):

-Splendid China & China Folk Culture Village (Chinese famous sights in miniature version, story and shows about the 54 minorities in China)

-Windows of the World (miniature version of famous sights world wide incl. Eiffel Tower of Paris!, next to Splendid China)

-OCT Contemporary Art Terminal and Loft Area (here you can find exhibitions and nice cafes - this is not OCT East!)

-Dafen Oil Painting Village (>60% of all oil painting world wide are from here!)

-Minsk Aircraft Carrier World (if you like air craft carriers)

-Diwang building, tall building with a view (not the tallest anymore, but over 340m)

-several nice parks

-Luohu commercial center (cheap and fake shopping, taylors)

-Dongmen shopping area, authentic local shopping are

-Various shopping centers, like KK100 mall, Mix C etc

-.....and much more, depending on your interest.

tripadvisor.de/Attractions-g297415-Activitie…

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
MTR
MTR
19,122 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Zhuhai
Zhuhai
Guangdong, China
Splendid China Park
Splendid China Park
623 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
China Folk Culture Village
China Folk Culture...
507 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
OCT East Shenzhen
OCT East Shenzhen
636 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
Dafen Oil Painting Village
Dafen Oil Painting...
467 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,766 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Shenzhen...

Good point: While I disagree with the comment about a week being long in Shenzhen - it depends on the people and knowledge about where to find all the nice things in SZ, I forgot to mention the various SPAs are an experience you should not miss. Enjoy various saunas, relax areas, fruit buffets, massages and manicure for a comparable low price!

Home cooking would not be my preferred proposal. You will spend too much time to find the ingredients, it will not taste like home and you will miss one of the thousands of restaurants in SZ.

I would also not spend too much time for shopping unless you are looking for electronics, cheap/fake clothing (in a week you could get some dresses made or just blouses for example), tea, furniture, decoration or souvenirs.

There is also Dameisha beach and other beach areas (more far away) as an option or just to explore the coast area of Mangrove Nature Reserve.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297415-d2…

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Shenzhen Mangrove Nature Reserve
Shenzhen Mangrove Nature...
156 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
Oregon
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Shenzhen...

Thanks for the suggestions. I am flying into/from Hong Kong, so I'll spend a few days there at the end of my trip. I'll have a multiple entry visa. Shenzhen probably wouldn't be my first choice, but it's where my son is, so that's where I'm going! I'm planning on spoiling myself with several spa visits. Is Macau a possible day trip?

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Macau
Macau
China
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,745 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in Shenzhen...

>> Is Macau a possible day trip? <<

Sure it is possible but may be too rushed for your liking. If you take a ferry, 2+ hour each way and if a bus, 3+ hour each way to include the border crossings and end-point connections. You can see that spending on 4 to 6+ hours round-trip on the overhead.

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,766 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in Shenzhen...

Ferry Shenzhen to Macau takes 60 minutes.Immigration is usually shorter when arriving by ferry. I would take <30min at Macau and <15min to Shenzhen. Many people do day trips to Macau.

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Macau
Macau
China
8. Re: A week in Shenzhen...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2015, 19:55
Oregon
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week in Shenzhen...

I'm in Shenzhen now and having fun. It's very easy to navigate the subway system and Google translate helps tremendously. My biggest challenge is finding western style toilets! I have not mastered the art of squatting.

I'm interested in the bumper cars and alpine slide?

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A week in Shenzhen...

The Window of the World has ice bumper car.

Playa Maya Water Park has water alpine slide.

It also took me years to get used to western siting toilets. Nowadays I still dislike them.

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen Window of the World
Shenzhen Window of the...
2,157 Reviews
Shenzhen, China