We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zhuhai to Kaiping by bus

Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
Zhuhai to Kaiping by bus

Hope some one can help me out here.

I will be taking my family and my dad to his ancestor village near Kaiping, plan to fly to Macau, cross over to Zhuhai and either charter a bus for 6 of us or take public bus to Kaiping.

Sure would appreciate it if anyone can tell me how I can arrange for a private bus from Zhuhai (i understand that there are no bus going from Macau all the way to Kaiping).

If there are no private bus, any information on how to catch a public bus from Zhuhai to Kaiping would be much appreciated. My dad is over 80 now, any recommendation on a bus service which is less cramp and physically demanding would be really great help.

Thanks

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,191 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zhuhai to Kaiping by bus

All the bus services from Zhuhai to Kaiping are comfortable express buses (although one recent trip my bus got a flat tyre - that can happen anywhere!). Buses depart from the Gong bei bus station across the road from the Macau (Portas de Cerco) border crossing. I have never checked to see if they also leave from the underground bus station. It takes about 2 hours and is motorway all the way. Buses are not that frequent - possible 5 or 6 times a day.

Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Zhuhai to Kaiping by bus

Hello Zhuhai2007,

Thank you for the information, would you know if I can pre book the bus tickets to Kaiping via Internet? Just want to rule out the possibility of not able to get bus tickets and have to change our schedule.

Thank you again for your help.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,191 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zhuhai to Kaiping by bus

I don't think buses in China are that advanced. I've never been able to pre-book on most buses, however it is seldom a problem.

Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Zhuhai to Kaiping by bus

Hello Zhuhai2007,

Noted, will just have to cross our fingers and hope we can catch one not too long after we cross over from Macau.

We might plan to stay a night in Zhuhai on our journey back from Kaiping to Macau. Would you be able to recommend a hotel within short walking distance ( less than 100m) from Gongbei border? I saw on Google Earth a large building a block in front of Gongbei border square, on the left just before the junction, figure it could be a hotel, any advise would be most appreciated.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,191 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zhuhai to Kaiping by bus

Jin Ye Hotel is the closest - just across the open square in front of the border crossing, on the western corner. Last week it was advertising a walk-in rate of 199RMB.

christchurch
Level Contributor
139 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zhuhai to Kaiping by bus

Hi Honchmatt,

I took bus rides from Jhuhai and thought I would add a few impressions to the very good advice from our Zhuhai expert zhuhai2007.

The main bus station at Zhuhai has electronic boards like Changi International Airport giving full details of the hundreds of bus movements. In Chinese. The ticketing counters (many) are efficient and fast, credit cards not accepted. Buses are generally not full due to the many buses available, if you miss one you can wait for the next, generally a bus 2 hourly or less. You can wait at the waiting room which is basic but very clean, or you can go to the KFC next door. Or shop.

There are many elderly people traveling as the buses, whilst not as luxurious as the Singapore - KL - Penang express these buses are comfortable. There are no on-board toilets but there are some rest stops. You are allocated a plastic bottle of drinking water as you enter.

I would suggest you look into hiring a van to take the 6 of you from Jhuhai to Kaiping, you get door to door transport which would be helpful to the 80 year old. And this would avoid carrying your luggage. And no need to worry about missing the bus as you travel at your own time. The cost would not be much more expensive than buying 6 bus tickets plus taxi drive from the Kaiping bus station to where you stay in Kaiping.

There is however a problem, as unlike Singapore where the prices of the public service vehicles are regulated, the private van hire in Jhuhai needs bargaining and unless you have a local it can be a cut-throat affair. Zhuhai2007 should open a travel agency as he has helped so many travelers including myself.

The other alternative is to get a taxi (not more than 15RMB)from the Macau border post to a 200 - 300 RMB hotel, there are many hotels on the internet, check in for a night, and have a good rest from the flight from Singapore, and arrange with the hotel to hire a van from the hotel to Kaiping to go there the next day. You will get a good price and reliable vehicle from the hotel. Ring the hotel from Singapore of the need for the transport. There is much to see in Jhuhai, much to eat, and you also have jhuhai2007 to give advice.

Hope this helps, you are lucky that zhuhai 2007 has responded, he is the best source of info.

Joe (ex-JB resident)

7. Re: Zhuhai to Kaiping by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 01:20